Esteemed Contributor

@Coquille  Please don't give monetary gifts. A plant or fruit basket or something from a deli for the entire staff is much more appropriate. You don't want to bring too much attention to the "head hancho" or cause problems for her or her co-workers. She probably cannot do for all patients what she has done for you.

Keep it quiet and simple. Write a thank you note. That's what is expected and appreciated. She's well-paid, I'm sure. Your heart was in the right place . . . just a little overboard! Save the extra money that she has saved you. Everyone will be happier in the long run. BTW: Congratulations on saving so much money! Now, invest it wisely. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Coquille   I agree with the statements already made about how thoughtful you are. This nurse did an extraordinary thing for you so naturally you want to go beyond the norm for her. I would think about it for a few days. Take your time and you'll come up with the right thing. For you and for her. Whatever it is, make sure to include a handwritten card. When people do these kinds of things, it's often because they recognize the specialness of the person for whom they are doing them. So happy this medication will make your life better.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gifting Help Please

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't give her anything -- and I wouldn't bring food or flowers either. You already called to thank her.

Super Contributor

Your appreciation is the greatest gift you could give.  Nurses do not expect gifts.  A note to her employer is a great start if you must give her something.  A note to her as well.  As a nurse, we always liked candy for the group.  You could attach a note saying you are grateful for those in the office who went out of their way to help you.  

I am glad you had a good experience.

Honored Contributor

I would go with flowers. 

Honored Contributor

I would send her a dozen red (or pink!)  roses in a big vase to the office!  With a lovely card enclosed.  I think that is a spectacular statement and I don't know who wouldn't be thrilled and touched by that.  That lets everyone know how much she did foryou and how thankful you are.

It's always exciting to get flowers at work.  

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Keep it quiet and simple.

I think BirkiLady stated it well. Where I used to work we had to sign a form about accepting gifts. We were only allowed to accept a small denomination. Each place of employment is different. But you don't want to cause a stir with the rest of the office, including the Doctors. And even if you try and keep it discreet, you never know who might find out.

Please be careful. And I am thrilled she was able to help you out.

Esteemed Contributor

@Coquille wrote:

My doctor's nurse, got an prior authorization for an extremely hard to get medical autho. for me out of the kindness of her heart. I didn't even know she was doing it.  It's usually  a three or four step process because of appeals. The girls in the office have tried before but to no avail and they gave up. I know how hard the Insurance companies can be because I managed a doctor's office for 18 years. The medication can only be bought directly from the company. It can't be bought through any pharmacy. The cost, $1755.00 self pay. After the autho, I got it for $500.00 about 2 months ago and now I am in the catastrophic coverage stage and I get it for under $100.00. I get it 4 times a year. The medication has changed my life. Dealing with Insurance, is not her job at all! 

I don't know her personally so I'm lost, as to what to get her for a thank you. She's saved me thousands a year for this year and next. I thought I would get her either a Visa or Amex Gift Card but how much do I put on it? I thought maybe $500.00 or more. I called immediately when I found out and thanked her. If I could find out her favorite restaurant, I would get her gift card for that but no one knows and they don't want to ask her. She's the head honcho and I think they're a little afraid of her.

If you have any other suggestions,  please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Have a great weekend!

I agree with those who said not to give her a gift card, or anything monetary.  And certainly nothing anywhere near $500. She didn't help you save money so you could be extravagant in that kind of way.  My suggestion is to send flowers with a nice, heartfelt note of thanks.  (Something nice, but not over-the-top.)  I would also be sure her employer knows that she went above and beyond for you, and that you're grateful.

Anything more might be embarrassing since I'm sure her feeling is that she simply was doing her job. (Even though it's not technically her responsibility, she is still part of the doctor's staff, and assisting patients is part of that.)  Making too much of a fuss and calling too much attention to it is not a good idea, IMO.

She will be touched by even a small gesture.  I understand your desire to go big, but I really think that could make things awkward for her, and have the opposite effect of what you're aiming for.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think a thank you card would be enough. 

IMO $500 is way too much.  Flowers or a gift card for $25 would be more than enough if you feel you must gift her with something.

Honored Contributor

If it were me I would get her something she could keep and remember the wonderful deed she did for you.  How about a piece of jewelry?  A nice bracelet or a pair of earrings?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)