Honored Contributor

yes... if that is what they are called I too have gotten them... I pick up the phone say hello... silence and then the phone on the other end hangs up.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Spurt - Do you have an app like NoMoRobo on your cell phone?  DH and I get annoying robo calls all the time on our android phones even though we're supposed to have some kind of blocker loaded.

I'd like to find one that works.

@Venezia 

Nope I dont have "No More Robo".....Its only free for landlines and I didnt want to pay $20 a year to get it for my Android....A lot of the smart phone carriers started  providing free robo blockers .......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I never answer my phone unless I recognize the number.  I don't use the answering machine.  I almost never get robo calls or solicitations because the scammers don't know it's a good number. I don't seem to miss anything important. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

All of these unwanted calls were on my land line.  I wanted to keep my phones separate.  Business calls on my land line, personal calls on my cell phone.  One reason I wanted to keep my land line.  This experience has made me rethink keeping a land line. I only know one other person who did this.  Get rid of her land line. Although I have no app that prevents unwanted calls on my cell phone, the problem never arose.  I very rarely get an unwanted call on my cell phone.  

Honored Contributor

@Spurt - Thanks.  I'll look around to see if I can find something better to block these annoying calls.  We never answer them, but they always ring at the most inconvenient times.

LOL - I just recently bought a new car and was home after talking to the dealer (and while deciding about it) and my phone rang.  Didn't recognize the number so ignored it.  My DH said "You don't think it's the dealership, do you?"  I looked at the card the saleswoman had given me...YEP!  Calling to make sure I got the email she sent with the offer for my trade and the new car.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

If it's a # I don't recognize, I don't answer the phone. If it's important, they'll leave a message, which they never do. I get a least 1 or 2 a day. I block that #, but they always have others they can call from.

Honored Contributor

If it's a number I don't recognize, I will not answer the phone.  If I'm waiting for a callback from someone, I'll risk it and answer. 

Once you start answering calls from scammers, they know your phone number is live and active and  you'll get all  kinds of calls all day and night. 

If it's a legitimate call, they'll leave a voicemail. 

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

For some time now, I've been receiving calls with no response on the other end.  Just silence.  I googled this and it's a machine that gets random numbers and just calls.  Mostly to see if a live person responds from that number.  This part of the information places get to target you for scams, etc.  It started about 4 months ago.  And at it's peak, I was getting calls up to 6 times a day.  My caller Id would cut them off.  But the computer (that's calling) would create more numbers.  Finally they started to drop off.  Now for the past 4 weeks, I've received none of the calls. Has anyone else received these calls?  They are robo calls with no humans voice recording. This all happened with my land line. Reporting those numbers doesn't help at all.  They simply scramble more numbers.  Strangely enough I don't get any unwanted calls on my smart phone.   And I don't have Robo Killer (the app that stops them)

@songbird @Yes, some of the calls I get on my home phone are as you described. Unfortunately, you will probably start getting annoying calls on your smart phone too. These calls are increasing everywhere. 

Trusted Contributor

That reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode, "Night Call," where the elderly lady was getting calls from her late fiance.....

MV5BMzY2MjA2NjY2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzk0OTEyMjE@._V1_QL75_UY281_CR93,0,190,281_.jpg

Honored Contributor

I will answer this the same way I did in a different, but very similar thread. On our land line we have a 4 phone cordless set that has an Auto Block that holds 1,000 numbers and names. With this activated, if the name and/or number are not in our Directory? Our phones do not ring.

You have the option of turning off this feature if you choose, and can manually,  block each call as you see fit.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)