Honored Contributor

For some time now, I've been receiving calls with no response on the other end.  Just silence.  I googled this and it's a machine that gets random numbers and just calls.  Mostly to see if a live person responds from that number.  This part of the information places get to target you for scams, etc.  It started about 4 months ago.  And at it's peak, I was getting calls up to 6 times a day.  My caller Id would cut them off.  But the computer (that's calling) would create more numbers.  Finally they started to drop off.  Now for the past 4 weeks, I've received none of the calls. Has anyone else received these calls?  They are robo calls with no humans voice recording. This all happened with my land line. Reporting those numbers doesn't help at all.  They simply scramble more numbers.  Strangely enough I don't get any unwanted calls on my smart phone.   And I don't have Robo Killer (the app that stops them)

Trusted Contributor

Re: Ghost calls

[ Edited ]

I now only answer calls that are in my contact list. 

The one time I did answer there was silence on the other end.  Then all of a sudden started getting lots of calls over the next few weeks from all over the country.  So I figured it was some type of system to see if they get valid numbers.  Learned my lesson from it. 

Honored Contributor

We get them on our landline, but just ignore them.

Honored Contributor

We never answer the phone unless we know who's calling via caller ID.

Honored Contributor

From the first call I got (which I answered) I would let it go to my voice mail.  So I simply ignored it.  Took quite a while, but glad it not continuing.  For a while there, I wanted to change my land line number.

Honored Contributor

Contact list only are the ones I answer too.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I think that's what was happening to us with our landline.  One ring, a long string of numbers on my caller ID and then nothing.

Only problem for me was this was happening at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning and, of course, my immediate thought was something had happened to a friend or family member.

I did report it to my phone company and I also blocked the number (as it was always the same).  Then I switched the ringer off on the phone by my bed, so I could get some sleep, the night they rang three times!  So far since then no more calls.

I won't say what I think of the lowlifes who do this kind of thing.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

For some time now, I've been receiving calls with no response on the other end.  Just silence.  I googled this and it's a machine that gets random numbers and just calls.  Mostly to see if a live person responds from that number.  This part of the information places get to target you for scams, etc.  It started about 4 months ago.  And at it's peak, I was getting calls up to 6 times a day.  My caller Id would cut them off.  But the computer (that's calling) would create more numbers.  Finally they started to drop off.  Now for the past 4 weeks, I've received none of the calls. Has anyone else received these calls?  They are robo calls with no humans voice recording. This all happened with my land line. Reporting those numbers doesn't help at all.  They simply scramble more numbers.  Strangely enough I don't get any unwanted calls on my smart phone.   And I don't have Robo Killer (the app that stops them)

@songbird 

So tired of these scammers and the games they play....

I finally made the decision to get rid of my Landline 3 years ago....WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MADE!!!   And the last time I got a robo call on my Android phone was 2 years ago and that was only one call for the auto warranty a well known scam, I blocked the number and no more calls.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Land line user. We get about five a day. Rarely do they leave a message.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Spurt - Do you have an app like NoMoRobo on your cell phone?  DH and I get annoying robo calls all the time on our android phones even though we're supposed to have some kind of blocker loaded.

I'd like to find one that works.