Honored Contributor

Re: Getting switched with little warning into Medicare Advantage

You can be sure of one thing nothing will stay the same.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

We're insurance poor. Home, car, medical, on and on. Never ends.

If we could get back all the money we've spent on it all of our lives I could buy out QVC and have change left over. LOL  Rename Q

'QSharke' LOL

I hear you. Medicare, vision, dental, auto, burial insurance. Long term would be nice but I'd have to give up the burial ins., LOL.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

We're insurance poor. Home, car, medical, on and on. Never ends.

If we could get back all the money we've spent on it all of our lives I could buy out QVC and have change left over. LOL  Rename Q

'QSharke' LOL

@SharkE

Some may think insurance is a stupid concept ,,,,, after all, most of it you buy and yet hoping you won't need it!  lol

OTOH, not needing it is good.    If your auto insurance is up for renewal and you had an "uneventful" year, do you get mad because you didn't get into a bad car accident and get to use it?    Probably not.   

Nevertheless ..... it's definitely a safety net.   Each of us needs to decide how big a safety net we actually need .... keeping in mind that none of us has a crystal ball.

JMO

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@wonderfulworld wrote:

I have had traditional BC/BS at almost $900.00 a month for just me, auto deduction from my checking account.. My husband is already on Medicare.

I also received the letter about seamlessly being enrolled in their Medicare Advantage plan. I in no way wanted to continue with BC/BS and definitely did not want an Advantage Plan. I had to send them a letter 'opting out' of the Advantage plan.

To make sure I did not get stuck with them I cancelled my auto deduction and paid by check for my last several months of traditional BC/BS.

I am not receiving social security so I write three checks a month...one for medicare, one to Mutual of Omaha for my Medicare Supplement plan and one to Humana for prescription drug coverage. It is a bit less than half of what I have been paying.

Heads up: in my recent research I was told that Congress has mandated that Medicare supplement Plan F  be eliminated in 2020. Those who have it can continue but it is anticipated that the price will go up quickly as the number enrolled decreases.

Has anyone else heard this? My husband has F. Our agent recommended plan G for me.

Please check out Plan C instead of Plan G.  Plan C and Plan F both cover the coinsurance from day 21 to day100 in a skilled Nursing facility ( SNF) It is very common for people to use more than 20 days in a SNF due to car accidents, a hip or knee replacements.

I spent way over 20 years working in customer service for a health insurance company.  I have heard many people cry and scream with they find that they don't have enough coverage for a SNF.  You could receive a bill for thousands of dollars or have to be sent home before you are ready.

This is a VERY IMPORTANT benfit.  Think about it carefully. Just saying....

Thank you!!! I sure will check it out. wonderful

Respected Contributor

CARMIE

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@wonderfulworld wrote:

I have had traditional BC/BS at almost $900.00 a month for just me, auto deduction from my checking account.. My husband is already on Medicare.

I also received the letter about seamlessly being enrolled in their Medicare Advantage plan. I in no way wanted to continue with BC/BS and definitely did not want an Advantage Plan. I had to send them a letter 'opting out' of the Advantage plan.

To make sure I did not get stuck with them I cancelled my auto deduction and paid by check for my last several months of traditional BC/BS.

I am not receiving social security so I write three checks a month...one for medicare, one to Mutual of Omaha for my Medicare Supplement plan and one to Humana for prescription drug coverage. It is a bit less than half of what I have been paying.

Heads up: in my recent research I was told that Congress has mandated that Medicare supplement Plan F  be eliminated in 2020. Those who have it can continue but it is anticipated that the price will go up quickly as the number enrolled decreases.

Has anyone else heard this? My husband has F. Our agent recommended plan G for me.

Please check out Plan C instead of Plan G.  Plan C and Plan F both cover the coinsurance from day 21 to day100 in a skilled Nursing facility ( SNF) It is very common for people to use more than 20 days in a SNF due to car accidents, a hip or knee replacements.

I spent way over 20 years working in customer service for a health insurance company.  I have heard many people cry and scream with they find that they don't have enough coverage for a SNF.  You could receive a bill for thousands of dollars or have to be sent home before you are ready.

CARMIE...I pulled my contract out as soon as I saw your post. Thank you for taking the time to reply and let me know what you think,

Plan G (mine) says it pays 100% Skilled Nursing Home facility care coinsurance. The exact same as plan F. Where G is different is that it does not pay the Medicare Part B deductible. My agent said that deductible is $166.00 and I would have to pay it once a year. She said that was THE ONLY difference between Plan F and G. My husband has plan F and I know it is good.

Plans K and L pay only 50% or 75%  of Skilled Nursing Home facility care coinsurance.

I agree it is very important. Please let me know if I am incorrect. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

CARMIE

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@wonderfulworld wrote:

CARMIE...I pulled my contract out as soon as I saw your post. Thank you for taking the time to reply and let me know what you think,

Plan G (mine) says it pays 100% Skilled Nursing Home facility care coinsurance. The exact same as plan F. Where G is different is that it does not pay the Medicare Part B deductible. My agent said that deductible is $166.00 and I would have to pay it once a year. She said that was THE ONLY difference between Plan F and G. My husband has plan F and I know it is good.

Plans K and L pay only 50% or 75%  of Skilled Nursing Home facility care coinsurance.

I just checked the benefits for Plan G, and yes the SNF coinsurance of 161.00 a day is covered from day 21 to day 100.  At one time, only Plan C and F covered this in full.  MY mistake.

Plan G covers the excess fee, Plan C does not.  Plan C also covers the Medicare B deductible.  IF you live in certain states, where the doctor is not allowed to bill the excess fee, Plan C would be more cost effective.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@wonderfulworld wrote:

CARMIE

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@wonderfulworld wrote:

I just checked the benefits for Plan G, and yes the SNF coinsurance of 161.00 a day is covered from day 21 to day 100.  At one time, only Plan C and F covered this in full.  MY mistake.

Plan G covers the excess fee, Plan C does not.  Plan C also covers the Medicare B deductible.  IF you live in certain states, where the doctor is not allowed to bill the excess fee, Plan C would be more cost effective.

Thank you very much for checking it out and responding so quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

My Mom just found out that she is covered for life by my Dad's former employer at no cost.  So we don't have to look for a supplement after all.  We have it in writing!  What a relief.

Honored Contributor

I guess so !