Respected Contributor

Re: of Re: Getting Called Baby By Strangers.

@minkbunny wrote:

Honestly, with the horror in the streets of many of our fine cities, being called a term of endearment by a fellow shopper trying to do a good deed would certainly not have angered me.  I am sure it was just a word he often used out of habit and he certainly wasn't trying to marginalize you as a infant.  Seriously.....

I live in the Missouri Ozarks and to be called hon or dear or sweetie is the norm - certainly by waitresses or small shop owners like the bakery or florist, etc. 

I am also not offended by doors being held open for me when entering a business if it so happens that another is standing there and wants to do so (be it a man or woman) as I certainly do the same.  Shoppers almost always let someone behind them with fewer items go ahead of them.  And then we just say, pass it on.  Same as never taking a quarter when you give someone on the Aldi's lot your empty cart - just a tiny act of kindness. 

Live is short so I don't plan to waste any of my minutes that are left being upset with a fellow shopper who was trying to be kind.  

@minkbunny  Well said!  I'm from the South.  If things like that offend, you'll be miserable if you move here. We love terms of endearment and good manners. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Getting Called Baby By Strangers.

@kitcat51 wrote:

Terms of endearment from stangers never bother me....today a smiling young man at the drive thru called me sweetie & it made my day. I'm 70.

@kitcat51   I'm older than you and I live in the South. I don't mind having terms of endearment directed at me at all. It's more often a sign of respect than not.  

Trusted Contributor

I don't really like it either but I also don't get offended by it. I think most people mean no harm and think it's just a friendly gesture. 

Trusted Contributor

Even though their license plate was from the middle of the country they kind of had a Deliverence feeling about them.

He might have looked different from the people you are used to seeing in your area but it's possible he wasn't being intentionally offensive. But " baby" to me isn't offensive. Their are much worse words than could have been used. And please don't ascribe his simple comment to that horrible movie; a smile and a "God bless you" goes far these days as it always has.
Have a blessed week everyone

Trusted Contributor

""So let me make it clear: "endearments" are NOT appropriate in the workplace. Unless you're retiring and everyone is saying how wonderful you are.""

My casual female coworkers call either other hon, sug, sweetheart, babygirl. But I live in the deep south and we use those terms as endearments.
Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I  am from the south and ladies often hear this term from both men and woment.  Usually older women will say Thanks Sweetie  and a gentleman will often still offer thanks young lady.  This is not meant to demeen in any way, its just a term of usually kindness.  I would hate to live where people cant be kind and show manners,  I open the door for people young and old, and I certainly appreciate it in return. During the pandemic days where people were not holding the door open, I totally understand it for germ control, but I sure hated having doors dropped on my face right and left.

Trusted Contributor

@Sage04 --Shug is an older endearment that I often heard my grandparents and great aunts and uncles say to one another.  It was a time where family loved each other and sweet words said to one another were just that, a sign of happiness and love in the family.  Your comment made me smile.

Respected Contributor

We are all entitlted to feel how we feel.  However, I have way too much going on in my life to be worried about being called "baby" and if his intentions were anything other than nice.    How things are said, and body language, should tell you everything you know.

And I actually found it offensive about the "Deliverance vibe" remark. Not sure if that was a stab at appearance or if you were uncomfortable. Was he not being polite when he said it?

Honored Contributor

I don't like it.  I do not want to be called, honey, hon, sweetie, etc by anyone except my husband. 

Honored Contributor

I look 97 on my best day. PLEASE don't address me as "young lady".