Valued Contributor

Re: Getting Called Baby By Strangers.

@CrazyKittyLvr2  - Go on and turn the tables! I love it! 

Esteemed Contributor

Hope I dont  offend any one, but I just love to hear those works coming from a man with a Southern accent. My husbandś best friend referred to me always as Ḧello darling. Oh how I miss that.

I also like the way  Annie Potts who played Mary Elizabeth Sims on the series Äny day now" husband refered to her as Hey Shug. I have never had that one but I hope some day I will.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

Just a note. Men get called Hun, Sugar, Dear, Sweetie, etc. on a regular basis also by women they don't know. I was just called Hun by the checkout girl at Walmart the other day. It's just the way some people talk. It doesn't bother me at all. It shouldn't bother anyone. There are much bigger issues in the world to worry about.

I think that you mean "hon," unless you are not bothered by being called a vicious warrior. :-) @gardenman 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't mind it.  I hear a lot of Hon, Dear, etc.  Kind of nice....Although I never say it myself, I like it.  One in a while (not so much now) my husband sitll calls me baby...

Trusted Contributor

I have always hated for complete strangers to call me baby, honey, or sweetie. Now that I am much older, I REALLY can't stand to be called any of these ridiculous names by someone that is obviously young enough to be my child or grandchild!!!!😠😠😠

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

If it's said to me kindly and without malice, I take it that way.... Woman Happy

Me too @Q4u. Smiley Happy

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

The ONLY way I would be offended is if it were said in an offensive way.  I don't go though life looking to be offended.  That's a pretty poor hobby.  

Amen @Sooner. Too much complaining & negativity & people looking for things to be "whiny" & nitpicks about imho. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

Just a note. Men get called Hun, Sugar, Dear, Sweetie, etc. on a regular basis also by women they don't know. I was just called Hun by the checkout girl at Walmart the other day. It's just the way some people talk. It doesn't bother me at all. It shouldn't bother anyone. There are much bigger issues in the world to worry about.

I think thatnyou mean "hon," unless you are not bothered by being called a vicious warrior. :-) @gardenman 

According to the Cambridge dictionary: 

hun
   informal (also hon)

UK/hʌn/ US/hʌn/

short form of honey: a way of speaking to someone you like or love, or someone who you want to be friendly to:
You OK, hun?
Good luck, hun, and have a good day!

It's not just how you spell the name of a vicious warrior but also a genuine way to spell a shortened form of Honey. When I see Hon I'm assuming it's short for Honorable, which it typically is. Judges are typically addressed in this manner. The Hon. Justice Clarence Thomas for example. There are a lot more judges in the modern world than vicious warriors, so when I want to use the shortened form of Honey, I go with Hun. It's less confusing to most people. 
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Judges are addressed in person as "Your Honor" -  not "Hon ___."

Hon. (with a period) can be an abbreviation for The Honorable ____ in writing.

Honored Contributor

There is not a day that goes by that I do not call someone of any age or gender, Honey, Sweetie or Baby.  Nine times out of ten I get big smiles and more personal service to the endearment, tone of my voice and genuine likeness to the person.  I think it depends on many factors on how it is given and received.  I do know the difference between kindness and sexism.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."