Honored Contributor

Re: Getting Cable Bill Lower

@Jordan2"I have been with Time Warner Cable, now Spectrum for 17 years. I pay my bill in full , on time. TWC would negotiate with the customer, Spectrum has a policy, they will not. Speaking to a supervisor doesn't do any good, they don't care."

Spectrum's retention department. The most direct phone number to reach this department is 1-855-757-7328.

Other tips on dealing w/Specturm can be found here-----> tvnerd.com/how-to-negotiate-with-spectrum/

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

i just t ell comcast that i am leaving and i will stay iof they give me abetter rate.

i hate them but i will not do a contract for two years.  why should i pay a company not to do business with them?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I called my cable provider today and asked about how to lower my bill.  They said they could lower it by $3.  I told them $3 wasn't going to make me or break me.  After I hung up, I realized I should have asked what date I was paid up through, but I'm not calling them back until it's to say disconnect my service.

Back in the summer, when I was in the office in person, I asked if they offered a senior discount.  They said no.

Esteemed Contributor

I renegotiate with my cable provider every year, when the current offer expires. That’s when I get the letter advising that my rates are going up!! I call up & say that I want to cancel because the other provider offered me a better deal. I call the other provider first & get their offer which is always great because they want to lure me over.

When I call my provider & tell them I’m canceling due to a better offer that starts the conversation.I end up not getting an increase & get free services added as a bonus.

I pay $60 less per month now than I did 5 years ago. Plus I got added premium channels.

Once a few years ago I was told that they could no longer give me any deals.I said ok then I want my service cancelled in 30 days.That’s how long it will take me to get the other service up & running so I have no disruption in service. I then hung up.

A few days later I got a call from a supervisor asking me why I was leaving.I gave him an earful. Long story short he offered me a great deal which included 3 months of free service!!

Honored Contributor

I was inspired by this thread to try and get Spectrum to lower my cable bill. I have called many times to get Spectrum to lower my bill to no avail. So I called this afternoon, spoke to someone in the billing department, she couldn't help me but she  transferred me to another department. I spoke to a very nice male customer service rep, told him what I was looking for, to my surprise he said let's see what we can do! Long story short I'm keeping all my same services, he was able to knock  $30 (for one year) off the bill ( this phone call did take a long time, he also had to get it okayed by someone higher up). I thanked him and told him how helpful and appreciated he was. I guess it doesn't hurt to try and also goes to show you all the previous reps I spoke to who said they couldn't do anything just didn't care.

Valued Contributor

yes, calling and speaking to the retention department works.

if you are still paying monthly for their modem, you should be able to find one for less than $100,

either check on their web site or call tech support and ask them which modem brands are compatible with their service.

this will take $10 a month off your bill (or whatever they are charging you), plus that tax, permanently.

i also do better at night getting the bill reduced, like after 9pm, then during the day, getting the bill lowered.

hmm, it never dawned on me to ask if they had a senior discount.
what age do this consider a senior?
for some things it's 60, 62 or 65

i can't help but wonder how many people will still be able to afford having cable or satellite 10-15 years from now ?  at the rate that they are increasing prices, i would not be surprised if the "average" bill is $300 a month, then. not from my checking account though.

it really burns me that we have to pay some sports fee/tax, even if you don't have any premium sports channels. and yes, i did ask if they could remove the sports channels, like espn that come with every package to get rid of the sports fee.

Respected Contributor

I can honestly say, since i cut the cord i have never been happier. i was paying close to $160 a month, and had no premium channels at all. just basic, and a landline. 

there are so many streaming services now!!  the roku is under $20, and i got hulu and netflix with no commercials for about $14 a month each. i still use charter/spectrum for my internet $50,. so all in all i am way into the plus column for money saved.  i thought that i would really miss some of the current shows, but when you see how many different things, and series show that are available.....  

Esteemed Contributor

Don't tell them that ur cancelling - usually won't work. Just call back several more times - and speak to different people - and ask that ur bill be lowered. They're taught to ignore customer complaints --- but u have to be aggressive.

A neighbor once called one of the cable companies and said: I guess u care more about NEW customers than Long-Term customers. Then he reduced her bill.

Honored Contributor

It's easier to negotiate when you have options; some areas do not.  For example, my area has both Comcast (Xfinity) and Verizon (FIOS).  So I can play one off the other with some success.  However, my parents' area has just Spectrum, formerly Time Warner.  It's kind of hard to negotiate with them, as everyone needs internet even if they're willing to get rid of the landline and cable TV.

Regular Contributor

I have done all of what has been suggested here with Cox just 2 weeks ago. I have been a customer for over 40 years. They wouldn't budge. 

Oh, I could pay .30 more and get faster WIFI and one other thing if I signed up for another 2 year contract. I am not going to do that if I am thinking of canceling. Threatening to cancel doesn't work either. 

I am not sure I want the inconvenience of streaming.  I think it is all a crapshoot for who you get on the phone.