Honored Contributor
On 11/14/2014 kze said:

With my insurance, generics don't go up in the donut hole.

In 2014, Medicare will pay 28% of the price for generic drugs during the coverage gap. You'll pay the remaining 72% of the price. What you pay for generic drugs during the coverage gap will decrease each year until it reaches 25% in 2020—in 2015, you'll pay 65% of the price for generic drugs during the coverage gap. The coverage for generic drugs works differently from the discount for brand-name drugs. For generic drugs, only the amount you pay will count toward getting you out of the coverage gap.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

We have UnitedHealthCare prescription coverage. We pay about $40 a month. I just checked next year's book and the total will be about five dollars less starting in January for the generic medications my husband takes. I haven't taken a prescription of any kind since my last hospitalization, when my daughter was born almost 41 years ago. She was a C-section so I would assume that I was given prescriptions in the hospital. I was given no prescription to fill when I left and I know I have not filled a prescription since.

Respected Contributor
On 11/15/2014 minkbunny said:

We have UnitedHealthCare prescription coverage. We pay about $40 a month. I just checked next year's book and the total will be about five dollars less starting in January for the generic medications my husband takes. I haven't taken a prescription of any kind since my last hospitalization, when my daughter was born almost 41 years ago. She was a C-section so I would assume that I was given prescriptions in the hospital. I was given no prescription to fill when I left and I know I have not filled a prescription since.

You will have to share your secret to staying healthy. No antibiotics in the course of many years is just amazing!! I want to be you.Smile

O/T I read about your husband and yesterday. I hope all went well and he is doing fine. With you in his corner and your upbeat attitude, I am sure he will. Smile

Respected Contributor

Thank you SoftRaindrops. Everything did go fine yesterday and he will be able to surprise a lot of people by Christmas. And the p/t department LOVED my cookies - one guy ate SIX in an hour {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} Said that would be his lunch. Another guy said he wished his wife made the chocolate chips cookies big and crispy like mine, hers were softa soft and lumpy. My husband said, why don't you tell her that? He said, Do I look crazy? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

No real secrets, the basic eating well, exercising, trying to get enough sleep, never smoked, never drink to excess, a very, very, very optimistic outlook on life, etc. Nothing more than many others have done yet they became seriously or terminally ill. Just take it day by day and pray for continued good health.

I do feel that antibiotics are extremely overused and would take them only if it were a true emergency.

Respected Contributor
On 11/15/2014 minkbunny said:

Thank you SoftRaindrops.

No real secrets, the basic eating well, exercising, trying to get enough sleep, never smoked, never drink to excess, a very, very, very optimistic outlook on life, etc. Nothing more than many others have done yet they became seriously or terminally ill. Just take it day by day and pray for continued good health.

I do feel that antibiotics are extremely overused and would take them only if it were a true emergency.

Minky, I am sure that you were blessed with good genetics too. I have seen your photos and you are pretty in addition to being healthy.

My best for a wonderful, healthy and happy holiday season with your family.

Edited to add....just saw about the cookies! Sweet!!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

Aww, thanks. {#emotions_dlg.blushing} I look like my dad (he was of German descent and I got my blonde hair and blue eyes from him).

While both parents were very, very attractive - both died young. My dad died at 49 and my mom at 72. Also had two siblings die in their 40s. Even more reason for me to try to do all I can to fight the health genetics of my family.

And the same good wishes to you and yours as we approach this most Blessed season.

Respected Contributor

Not so much manufacturers dropping out but I've experienced this in reverse. I have pretty good insurance but the gold standard of a drug I take cost $280 per month when I first began it. It went generic shortly thereafter and I still paid the same amount for about a year. I was told that until there were more manufacturers making it - - even though it was generic, the manufacturer and new generic manufacturer could continue the higher costs until another couple manufacturers came online and would begin to produce it due to the demand. Same just happened with a blood pressure med I take. I swear it went generic 3 years ago (maybe it just seemed that long!) and last time I got a refill, I paid $30 for 3 months supply which is much cheaper than the $170/3 months supply I used to pay.

Super Contributor

I'd have to refresh my memory on the facts . . . but seems a year or so ago . . . some of the tax exemptions & loopholes of the pharmaceutical companies that were located in places like Puerto Rico etc. were LOSING their tax shelters and protections . . .

Not sure IF this is a coincidence or totally unrelated.

I only take my Armour Thyroid so I don't keep up with prescription costs for the most part other than following ""health"" funds in our portfolio which has been through the roof the past couple of years. We're talking close to 30% rate of return YTD this year and last few years 10-20%. Which makes up for the hit the ""energy"" funds are taking right now . . . but they'll go back up . . . they ALWAYS do.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had Humana's Part D plan for about three years now. As of 2015, my premium is going up less than $6.00, I will continue to get my three generic prescriptions in 90-day supplies from their mail order pharmacy FREE in 2015. I pay a copay for one prescription because I choose to continue taking the brand drug rather than the generic. I get another medication from Costco because the cash price there is unbelievably lower than the Part D copay. I can get 180 tablets (90 days) for $11.00, but the co-pay through Part D would be about $75.00.

You do have to search around and make comparisons. I checked on the AARP United Health Care Part D Plan yesterday out of curiosity, and one of my generics that I get FREE through Humana would cost me $78.00 for 90 days through United Health Care.

Companies will charge whatever they think they can get by with, so you may have to do some extensive research to find the best plan for you, but it could save you a lot of money.

And BTW, the premium for my supplemental policy with AARP United Health Care is not going up at all in 2015!