Esteemed Contributor

i remember awhile back someone asking if they would recommend installing a Generac generator....last night we lost power, and it won't be back on until saturday....we have a Generac....so my answer would be YES!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank goodness you have the generator. We have one also saved us three times in 2 years. Best investment we ever made. 

Esteemed Contributor

@godi wrote:

Thank goodness you have the generator. We have one also saved us three times in 2 years. Best investment we ever made. 

i agree!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Generac Generator

[ Edited ]

I’ve noticed several discussions on the boards lately about “Generac generators.”  Just want to point out that Generac is not the only company that makes whole house generators. Anyone who is considering this kind of investment should shop around a bit to see what’s available in their area. I live in hurricane country, and we’ve been very happy with our GE whole house generator.  And yes, we did consider Generac. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Occasional Contributor

We have one also. Best investment we’ve made. We are in a rural Northeast area where the power goes out a lot. I would highly recommend and would never want to be without it. 

Respected Contributor

Love it....lost power last night came right on. Worth every penny.

Super Contributor

We lost power one year between Christmas and New Year.  Not only were we thankful for our whole house generator, but our neighbors who moved in with us for several days were too!  Another neighbor was inspired to add a generator.  It's so nice to stay comfortable, but it's fun to share that comfort with the neighbors!  Well, as long as you like the neighbor!  😇

Frequent Contributor

I work for an electrical contractor and we recommend Kohler gens. I have a Siemens which was more affordable for me when I got it installed several years ago, Best thing ever. If you have natural gas at your home that is ideal, If not you will need propane tanks. The gen runs a self check start up weekly. It's basically like a lawn mower engine so somewhat loud. You will need a permit from your township - there are certain specs on where they can be safely located. I would also recommend you get a local gen repair company. They will conduct service checks twice a year, Replace batteries, check fliuds, replace fan belts and evaluate overall performance. Best comfort for when the power goes out - especially in these times of changing climate,

Honored Contributor

I am in California and we want to get a whole house generator.  Seems to be the need of the future.😡  Who does this kind of work?  Electrition?  I have no idea where to start.  We do not want to do any of the work.

Super Contributor

@shoekitty  Google Whole House Generator and your area.  You will get hits of the companies in your area who sell and install these generators.  Hope that helps!