Esteemed Contributor

In regard to the age old complaints about the succeeding generation being the worst ever it seems to me that older generations should be asking where did we go wrong raising our kids not what is wrong with kids today.

In an effort to find every possible advantage in the job search, Gen Zers are turning to the folks who have always helped the most: mom and dad. A recent survey of job seekers shows that 70% of Gen Zers ask their parents to help them find a job. Of those who find full-time employment, 83% credit parental guidance with successful results. Gen Z - individuals born between 1997 and 2012 - represents 32% of the world’s population, and will account for 27% of the workforce by next year, according to McKinsey.

Surprisingly, nearly 40% of Gen Zers say that a parent accompanied them to an in-person interview. Nearly 30% report that the parent went into the interview with them, and two times out of ten, the parent introduced themselves to the hiring manager.

Hiring Gen Z: A Package Deal?

One in 10 Gen Z job seekers had parents complete their HR screening calls, while 1 in 8 had their parents write their résumé from scratch. Moms are more helpful and supportive, as 76% of Gen Zers report getting help from their mothers (versus 45% receiving help from their fathers). For folks attending virtual interviews, 71% report that a parent was present, but off-camera, for support. Nearly 30% said that the parent was on-camera, and if the parent showed up on camera there was an 85% chance that the parent would speak directly to the hiring manager.

Excerpted from: forbes.com/sites/chriswestfall/2024/05/02/gen-z-job-search-involves-parents-to-find-new-jobs-70-of-the-time/?sh=41f9bc7b470c

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Gen Z Job Seekers

[ Edited ]

My father definitely guided my brother to his first and what turned out to be his only job, 60+ years ago, when my bro had just graduated from high school.  If I remember correctly, dad went with my bro to the interview.

And in retrospect, I should have listened to my father too!

Super Contributor

Just another view.  My daughter graduated high school in 2017 and college in 2021.  Neither school had any info on job search, interview skills, resume building, networking, etc.  She learned from her father and myself how to prepare for her job search.  Now, we didn't go to interviews with her or ask anyone to interview her, that is a bit much.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The issue of recent college grads not finding jobs is a real problem.  We hear each month how many jobs were created but most aren't career jobs.

My grandson graduated from Penn State two years ago, then went to law school for a year.  He has been sending out his resume for about 9 months.  He NEVER gets a response from any of them.  He is so frustrated.

You have to "know someone" in order to find a job.  You don't see this in the news very much but it is a real problem.  So, I don't blame parents trying to help out.

(However, parents going to job interviews is a bit much.)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just last month, someone who's been doing interviews for white collar jobs told me of a mom showing up with their kid. They were stunned. The person wasn't hired and they didn't know whether to break it to the kid or the parent. LOL

Honored Contributor

Being with your grown child on an interview is just weird.  If they need a ride or yes moral support fine, stay out in the car.  You have to cut that cord at some point you will not be on this earth forever to let them sit on your lap.  

Contacts and door opening for job prospects is one thing but treating an interview like it is the first day of Kindergarten is strange.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Being with your grown child on an interview is just weird.  If they need a ride or yes moral support fine, stay out in the car.  You have to cut that cord at some point you will not be on this earth forever to let them sit on your lap.  

Contacts and door opening for job prospects is one thing but treating an interview like it is the first day of Kindergarten is strange.

No kidding. This interviewer also wondered if the mom would need a cubicle as well or just share one with her son.

Honored Contributor

What a sad state of affairs.  Parents going with kids to job interviews!!!!!!!  My age group would have been laughed right out of the building.  No wonder kids today cant think for themselves.  I do not feel the least bit sad for college grads that cant find a job,  yes they can, it may not be what they want but there are plenty of jobs out there.  Oh wait, they would have to do physical labor and maybe get their little hands dirty, oh the horror of it all, well then they can go home and mommy will kiss it and make it better.

Society created this monster and they are now reaping the rewards, sorry no sympathy here.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of 'baby-ing' children and adults, in general.

I always like to see youngsters helping their moms and/or dads.  

Doing light chores, helping 'clean' or 'dust' this and that, etc.  at a young age.  Three or four years old, etc.

And, it seems to me that they feel as though they've accomplished something.

Builds self- esteem, imo.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor
Helicopter parenting
"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"