Esteemed Contributor

I have been watching tonight and they have has some really great pieces of jewelry on there tonight. They just showed a beautiful aquamarine and diamond ring (my birthstone), a beautiful diamond bracelet and some gorgeous tanzanite. They also showed an estate diamond ring about 4cts set in platinum with a European cut. It is gorgeous. I have purchased from them in the past and I have loved every single piece I have gotten from them. I don't know the exact count but over the past 4-5 yrs I probably have gotten many 20-25 different pieces of all different price ranges. Rings, necklaces and bracelets mainly. My moms birthstone is opal and a couple of years ago they were showing a beautiful huge opal that had more light and fire than any I even seen in Australia. I got that for her and it was even more gorgeous in person. She loves it and I got a really great price on that one!  I especially love their estate jewelry, they have some great pieces. I have gotten morganite, tanzanite, emeralds, sapphires, chromium diopside, rubies and citrine. I have to say the tanzanite I have gotten from them is some of the best quality I have ever seen. Really deep and rich not that watery pastel color that even some higher end jewelers try to sell. My jeweler has gone nuts over some of the pieces and even tried to buy 3 of the estate art deco rings I have gotten. He offered a good bit more than I paid for it even. I couldn't sell them though, they were my favorites and something if I looked forever I would never find anything even similar to that again.

I have really been getting into Art Deco maybe the last 10 or so yrs and I just love some of the stuff I have gotten there. When my grandmother died she has a beautiful art deco ring and she left it to me. It was a Ceylon sapphire and diamond ring and it is so pretty. I wear that almost every single day. I love looking at that and remembering her. At the time, I really wasn't into jewelry like I am now but later I started to really appreciate that art deco style. She loved it too and most of her rings were art deco whether they were real or just costume, so it was my grandmother that got me hooked I guess. I remember I just loved to stare at her hands. She had these long beautiful slender fingers and her nails were always impeccibly groomed with rich shiny red or coral nail polishes on them. Later she developed arthritis which caused her fingers to kind of shrivel up so she couldn't straighten them out. When she could no longer paint her nails she would still go once a week and get those glossy beautiful colors. She would come up to visit us for a couple of months at a time and she would love it when I gave her the full manicure treatment. I would soak her hands in nice warm water with a little oil in it. I would give her long hand massages and then file her nails, push her cuticles back and paint it with the colors she would always bring with her. Of course my paint jobs were pretty terrible and looked nothing it did when she did it or got it done professionally but she would tell me how it was the best manicure she had ever had. Those are good memories.

Just wondering if anyone has ever purchased from there? A while ago I used to be hesitant purchasing higher end jewelry without first seeing it or touching it but I find that is the way to do it. You are guaranteed to love it or you send it back. 

What are you favorite style of jewelry design and where do you get some of your jewelry whether it be costume, fashion, etc...??

I cannot sleep!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I haven't had Dish for quite a while. But when I did, I enjoyed watching Sam and Sue. The pieces were unusual and gorgeous. I did purchase a natural pink pearl necklace and a pair of black Tahitian earrings from thei pearl vendor. I wear the earrings but I hardly wear the necklace. I didn't realize how large the pearls are. I felt like Wilma in the Flintstones. The 18" string ranged from 10-13 mm. They are beauttul though.

Enjoy!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Gem Shopping Network

[ Edited ]

I've been a huge fan of Gem Shopping Network for several years. I haven't even bought from them--can't really afford most of their jewelry--but I love admiring the beautiful fine jewelry, especially the estate pieces in heavy gold and/or platinum. One of these days.....

Knowing what truly fine jewelry is keeps me from buying the puny gold jewelry that I might be able to afford today. Luckily, I have some gold pieces I inherited and some I bought when gold was more affordable.

The gemstones used in the jewelry of GemSN are phenomenal. Where else would you be able to see such fine emeralds, rubies, paraiba tourmalines, exquisite opals, etc.? The jewelry shown on that network is the stuff that dreams are made of.

Honored Contributor

Hi, @Irshgrl31201!  I hope you finally got some sleep, and Happy New Year!  I watch GSN sometimes, but I've never purchased from them.  My understanding is that they have an excellent reputation.  In the early years of QVC and even Jewelry Television I purchased some simpler 18K, 14K, and sterling pieces, some with gemstones, and those have been great and even appraise well -- but in recent years I haven't purchased from them.   Sorry to say, their offerings seem to have declined in quality, variety and value.  

I like simpler styles of jewelry, and Art Deco is a favorite...  but my taste can be eclectic, too, so I have a few of the simpler Joan Rivers pieces and a couple of fanciful items from the earlier Kirks Folly days.   Much of my fine jewelry is one-of-a-kind (because we have a talented goldsmith/silversmith in the extended family, and also I have so many friends who are professional craftspeople) or vintage jewelry I've found over the years in antique shops or on eBay.

No one in my family had much jewelry to speak of, so we don't have any family heirlooms.  It sounds like you have a wonderful collection! 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

I've been a huge fan of Gem Shopping Network for several years. I haven't even bought from them--can't really afford most of their jewelry--but I love admiring the beautiful fine jewelry, especially the estate pieces in heavy gold and/or platinum. One of these days.....

Knowing what truly fine jewelry is keeps me from buying the puny gold jewelry that I might be able to afford today. Luckily, I have some gold pieces I inherited and some I bought when gold was more affordable.

The gemstones used in the jewelry of GemSN are phenomenal. Where else would you be able to see such fine emeralds, rubies, paraiba tourmalines, exquisite opals, etc.? The jewelry shown on that network is the stuff that dreams are made of.

It is fun to watch, even the pieces that are well over $100k I like to see!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

Hi, @Irshgrl31201!  I hope you finally got some sleep, and Happy New Year!  I watch GSN sometimes, but I've never purchased from them.  My understanding is that they have an excellent reputation.  In the early years of QVC and even Jewelry Television I purchased some simpler 18K, 14K, and sterling pieces, some with gemstones, and those have been great and even appraise well -- but in recent years I haven't purchased from them.   Sorry to say, their offerings seem to have declined in quality, variety and value.  

I like simpler styles of jewelry, and Art Deco is a favorite...  but my taste can be eclectic, too, so I have a few of the simpler Joan Rivers pieces and a couple of fanciful items from the earlier Kirks Folly days.   Much of my fine jewelry is one-of-a-kind (because we have a talented goldsmith/silversmith in the extended family, and also I have so many friends who are professional craftspeople) or vintage jewelry I've found over the years in antique shops or on eBay.

No one in my family had much jewelry to speak of, so we don't have any family heirlooms.  It sounds like you have a wonderful collection! 

Hey dooBdoo! Yes, I used to buy a lot from the Q back in the day. I got a lot of the Arte de Oro back when they used to have that on much more. I just looked and they really don't have a lot of pieces on the website anymore. I still have and love those pieces. I also loved those Silver Style shows that used to last for hours on Sundays. I miss those. THere used to be one jewelry designer that is completely escaping my memory right now. He used to big big on the Q and have lots of cute stuff. Almost all sterling with nice gem stones and at the time it really fit my budget. I want to say his name was Jose something? I wish I could remember. I will try to think of it. 

I agree the quality has gone way down. THey used to have a lot better choices of gemstones and gold but now it seems you never see real gold or rarely. 

JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo Joseph Esposito was the designer I was thinking of. Another poster helped me wth that. It was driving me crazy. I had a beautiful silver art deco ring of his that I still wear daily. 

JFK
Respected Contributor

I have made four purchases from Gem Shopping Network, and was very pleased with three of them.  The one purchase I returned was a pair of matched, loose stones that did not meet my expectations.  The return was problem free.  

I've told here before that I bought an estate (circa late 1800s) 2 carat Ceylon sapphire / .5 carat old mine cut diamond ring that my jeweler appraised at 50% more than I paid.  He admired the sapphires' quality and congratulated me on my good purchase.  

I have more jewelry than my lifestyle supports now, but if I were to spot something special on GSN, I would have no problem ordering from them again. To be honest, it is the only shopping channel from which I would feel comfortable buying fine jewelry. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I have made four purchases from Gem Shopping Network, and was very pleased with three of them.  The one purchase I returned was a pair of matched, loose stones that did not meet my expectations.  The return was problem free.  

I've told here before that I bought an estate (circa late 1800s) 2 carat Ceylon sapphire / .5 carat old mine cut diamond ring that my jeweler appraised at 50% more than I paid.  He admired the sapphires' quality and congratulated me on my good purchase.  

I have more jewelry than my lifestyle supports now, but if I were to spot something special on GSN, I would have no problem ordering from them again. To be honest, it is the only shopping channel from which I would feel comfortable buying fine jewelry. 

So glad you were happy with your purchases too. That Ceylon sapphire ring sounds just beautiful!! Love sapphires! 

I agree too, when it comes to fine jewelry I don't go to Q, HSN or Evine, I just don't think they have the quality at all for fine jewelry and I rarely even see that presented anymore anyway.  Mostly semi precious gems of questionable quality and silver or gold over silver. I don't mind plated jewelry but I can find much better quality out there with much better prices  too. GSN has some of the most beautiful pieces I have seen.

JFK
Respected Contributor

I love this channel. They have stunning jewelry. Haven't purchased from them yet but it's only a matter of time ; )

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____