Respected Contributor

Target Gift Cards on Sale Today Only

So today (Sunday) only, Target Gift cards were on sale 10% off.

I was planning a general trip and was going to buy my toy donations also. So I went in and purchased a gift card and then did my shopping. 

My basket was full. I'm ready to pay and hand the checker my gift card. It wont ring up. We tried the bar code on the receipt but it still wont work. Finally manager came over. THE SPECIAL GIFT CARDS CANNOT BE USED FOR 24 HOURS.

I started to say: then you can have all this back and I'll be back tomorrow!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Target Gift Cards on Sale Today Only

I was at Target as soon as they opened the doors this morning and got my gift cards. 

Yeah, they won’t work till tomorrow. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I was going to get one for $100 to save $10.  Then I realized that I always use my Red Card and save $5 on $100.  It wouldn't be that much more of a savings, so I didn't do it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I really don’t get that this is a major issue. Unless you’re buying multiples of $100+ gift cards, $10 off $100 is nothing I would go out of my way to do, or care about. Not unless I was buying multiples of $250 or $500 GC. Seriously, when I see anything offered at 10% off, like it’s a Big Deal, I just pass on by. It’s throwing the dog a (very small) bone IMO and I never bother on principle because it’s such a cheap gesture on the part of the business.

There’s a photographer whose work I follow who is based in the UK. All of his sales are always only 10% off. If I was in the UK I would still laugh at that (maybe that’s a big deal to UK residents, I don’t know). Add postage to the US and the 10% doesn’t even cover half the shipping on most items. No enticement to me at all, sadly.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the heads up!!

Trusted Contributor

Can these gift cards be bought on-line?

Respected Contributor

I was there so I bought one to give as a gift. Two women in front of me each bought $300 worth. Nice savings if you do a lot of shopping there. I use the Red Card so not a biggie for me. 

Respected Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

Can these gift cards be bought on-line?

Yes. They come as e-cards

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I really don’t get that this is a major issue. Unless you’re buying multiples of $100+ gift cards, $10 off $100 is nothing I would go out of my way to do, or care about. Not unless I was buying multiples of $250 or $500 GC. Seriously, when I see anything offered at 10% off, like it’s a Big Deal, I just pass on by. It’s throwing the dog a (very small) bone IMO and I never bother on principle because it’s such a cheap gesture on the part of the business.

There’s a photographer whose work I follow who is based in the UK. All of his sales are always only 10% off. If I was in the UK I would still laugh at that (maybe that’s a big deal to UK residents, I don’t know). Add postage to the US and the 10% doesn’t even cover half the shipping on most items. No enticement to me at all, sadly.

I shop at Target all the time. It’s essentially like someone saying “if you give me $270 I’ll give you $300 in return”.  I’ll take that deal all day long. It’s free money. 

I bought $300 worth today so it’s $30 free. See how long $30 laid on the parking lot would last. No way would I step over it and keep walking because it wasn’t enough. $30 free is enough for me. Great deal. 

Honored Contributor

Also wanted to add that I purchased my gift cards using my Discover card. Discover,  this quarter, is offering 5% back on Target purchases. So in addition to $30 free I’ll also get $13.50 cash back on Discover.