Frequent Contributor

Re: Geese have been visiting again

I love geese ~ I must have been a little duck girl in my past life, taking care of the geese {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

This time of year, the goslings are out and about and I love seeing them. They are messy, though. Watch out for their poo!

Honored Contributor

Geese are cute but buckets of poo each morning is wearing out their welcome...we don't want to hurt them but we want them to find a new restroom
Honored Contributor

A shotgun.

Trusted Contributor

The campgrounds also use plastic, silhouette German shepherds, for Goose control. They are on a wire stem, and move in the breeze. They are very realistic, as my dogs always bark at them. I don't know where you get them but you could Google it. Along those lines, you may want to try rubber snakes, plastic hawks, etc.

And if all else fails-We had a problem at one of the hospitals I worked at. The pigeons would roost on the window air conditioners. They used this mat of stiff, plastic spikes on the ACs. It kept the pigeons from roosting. Using this idea: you could drag old branches, Christmas trees, or fashion some kind of barrier that would be uncomfortable for them to walk on.

Honored Contributor

On 7/4/2014 dex said: The geese come in from a large lake that borders our property.We have this problem almost year round and we can't leave a dog out at night because we also have bears and cougars.

If the bears and cougars aren't getting the job done then you've got a big problem. Seriously though, most geese prefer to waddle once they're on the ground so if they're landing outside your yard and then waddling in, anything that makes it uncomfortable for them to cross your yard's boundaries might prove effective. Double-sided tape laid out in a strip or strips might deter the wandering. You'd probably have to anchor it somehow but most animals aren't thrilled with walking on something sticky.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

WOW!! I like birds but I know they're terribly messy