Respected Contributor

Received an invitation to a college graduation party for our family.  There is 3 of us.  I'm not particulary social with them, it's just that our daughters are friends and we do live in the same neighborhood.  I have never even met their son, who is graduating college and then going onto medical school.  However, we are not able to attend because we will be out of town.  But, should I still give a gift?  I'm guessing money?  If so, how much? 

P.S.  I think the reason we were invited is because our daughters are friends and they wanted someone there for her.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy   I'd say definitely send money in a card (I'd also say no gift cards, my personal opinion on these is they're so impersonal and too easy. I hate getting gift cards myself!)

Anyway, yes it would be a nice gesture, and since your daughter is good friends with, I'd have your entire family sign the card, I think it's your personal touch, even a brief note inside.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

But, should I still give a gift?  I'm guessing money?  If so, how much? 

NOPE!  You are not a "friend" to the family.

P.S.  I think the reason we were invited is because our daughters are friends and they wanted someone there for her.

Then daughter should give a gift if she so wishes.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy   I agree with @Mz iMac, only a gift from your daughter.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn’t feel obligated to give anything at all. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would acknowledge his graduation with a card.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't feel the need to send a gift to someone I didn't know.

Respected Contributor

Yes, a gift from all. You were all invited. My feeling is if you get an invitation, you were wanted at the party. Do not read into the why. 

Honored Contributor

I would not send cash.  I'd tuck an American Express gift card into a graduation card.  Since you don't know the young man, I think a $50 gift card is appropriate.

Trusted Contributor

Had a similar scenario last week.

Neighbor kid graduating high school.

I walked by the house to head over to another neighbor, saw the kid, said hello, and got a blank stare.

Pass.