Honored Contributor

Re: GIFT IDEAS FOR HAIR STYLIST

I agree, cash isn't a right but since it's a professional relationship, I would give a gift card to a store or restaurant. 

Honored Contributor

I only give cash to my stylist and nail tech; both love to marathon shop on Black Friday, and enjoy extra money in their pocket to fund their trip.   

Respected Contributor

I usually double my tip.  I see mugs and candles at her station and can only imagine what a waste those gifts are.   I wouldn't even attempt to buy her clothes or jewelry either.  

Cash is always appreciated for anyone in the service industry 

Honored Contributor

My Mom and I have the same stylist, have for years. In the past we gave her candles, body products, gift cards to Sephora or Starbucks, costume jewelry. The gifts were rarely acknowledged but that's how it goes sometimes. I think she was also perhaps a bit spoiled by some wealthier clients in terms of gifts.

Since last year she's  been coming to our house to do our hair which is greatly appreciated. So last year we got her something really nice that I got for a steal at Nordstrom Rack. So I would say if they've gone the extra mile for you then maybe a small "splurge". I once read that the etiquette for a stylist gift is the equivalent of the cost of one appointment. If that  appointment is expensive that's a mighty expensive gift.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I usually give a larger tip than normal to my hair stylist and to the dog's groomer.

Respected Contributor

Like others, I just give double what I usually would tip, and  I just say Merry Christmas as I hand it to her.  Sometimes I wonder if, at the end of the day when all the tip money is commingled, she even knows how much anyone gives her lol

Esteemed Contributor

Cash for sure ! Any amount will be appreciated, no matter how small. $$$

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I live in a small town that has a wonderful gift and food shop. My friend likes to shop there so I get her a $25.00 gift card. She loves it and can buy what she wants.

Valued Contributor

My hair stylist is also the owner of the salon. She has also become my friend since I have gone to her for 20 yrs. She likes QVC so I always send her via email a QVC gift card. She really likes that and always tells me what she bought with the QVC gift card.

Trusted Contributor

My stylist has her shop added on to her home,she is a one woman show. Her cuts are $20,I gave her $30 for her holiday tip last week.