Respected Contributor

Re: Friendship over because hurricane Harvey

Guess what buttercups? If the font is too small then bypass the thread and carry on your little way. No need to kick somebody when they are down. She is stressed, lived through a he11ish storm of the century, is upset over her friend and the accusation about the dog..by all means lets worry about her font..seriously only here.

For the USUAL person who I have not read ONE positive post on here unless it was about themselves, their family or their bragging.. otherwise somebody perpetually did something to their corn flakes 3 times a day.. Leave it to the one person to do as expected - and be nasty.

Not everybody is as perfect as themselves and their families..holy cow..can you breath alright up there on that high horse with your nose so high?

Some people have less than perfect friends and because they are HUMAN and love others whether they are perfect or not..they maintain a friendship with less than perfect people...she has nothing to be upset about..they lashed out and she did everything possible - opening her home to others and their animals.

For goodness sakes if you have nothing positive or kind to say this would be one of those moments to take the adult road and slither away..

Honored Contributor

It's hard for me to imagine anyone is thinking straight in Houston these days.  The hurricane was horrible and so many lost everything.  You didn't do anything wrong until you sent the nasty text but that could also be related to your stress too.  Hurricanes have to affect everyone, even those who didn't suffer damage.  Patience and love are needed.

Valued Contributor

@madie

I'm so sorry for what you and and all of Houston has gone through, and is continuing to go through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your whole community.

You and your husband took precautions, and worked hard for days to prepare as much as you could, while your "friends" sat around and did nothing, knowing clearly what the dangers were. They were heartless where their animals were concerned. They did nothing to prepare for the storm, or to secure their animals safety. Then they expected you to put yourself in danger, to take on their responsibilities. You don't owe them an apology, they owe you one.

I feel horrible for the poor dog, and the other animals that may have perished. These people should not be allowed to own any animal. The death of their dog is 100% their own fault, and if they had a brain in their heads, they would know that.  But I doubt they do. I understand your grief, but please don't feel guilty for a moment, and don't second guess your decision. You did the right thing.

I'm sorry you feel heartbroken over the loss of a friendship, but I don't think what you had can be called a real friendship. It sounds to me like it was all one sided. A true friend would never have asked you to put yourself in harms way. In my opinion you didn't really lose anything, but if they have turned their backs on you, they have lost a great deal.

Esteemed Contributor

@madieHey, I only read as far as the dog drowning and even before that my reply was going to be don't give any of it a second thought.

They sound like irresponsible people.  I certainly wouldn't leave sleep over any of it.

In your shoes I'd ignore them until they said or did something that showed me they understood they were wrong to ask what they did and made you feel bad about your response.

A few years ago one of my elderly neighbors (on the water) asked if she could come to my house when we were threatened by a hurricane.  I said no.  That's all..."no."  I didn't remind her that her son lives next door to her and her daughter lives in the next town.  And she's on good terms with them.  

I didn't want or need responsibility for anyone but myself.  

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

While the hurricane creates stress beyond my comprehension, I have the feeling these people have acted like this in previous situations.  If that is the case, this wouldn't be a "friendship" I would have. 

Trusted Contributor

@CaliKat wrote:

@madie

I'm so sorry for what you and and all of Houston has gone through, and is continuing to go through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your whole community.

You and your husband took precautions, and worked hard for days to prepare as much as you could, while your "friends" sat around and did nothing, knowing clearly what the dangers were. They were heartless where their animals were concerned. They did nothing to prepare for the storm, or to secure their animals safety. Then they expected you to put yourself in danger, to take on their responsibilities. You don't owe them an apology, they owe you one.

I feel horrible for the poor dog, and the other animals that may have perished. These people should not be allowed to own any animal. The death of their dog is 100% their own fault, and if they had a brain in their heads, they would know that.  But I doubt they do. I understand your grief, but please don't feel guilty for a moment, and don't second guess your decision. You did the right thing.

I'm sorry you feel heartbroken over the loss of a friendship, but I don't think what you had can be called a real friendship. It sounds to me like it was all one sided. A true friend would never have asked you to put yourself in harms way. In my opinion you didn't really lose anything, but if they have turned their backs on you, they have lost a great deal.

@CaliKat - this was so well said.  Hopefully the OP really hears it.

Esteemed Contributor

People need to grow up and take responsibility for their actions. Woman Frustrated You did nothing wrong- in fact you did everything RIGHT!

Respected Contributor

You did the right thing....why do you think the local authorities kept urging people to prepare to leave and so on? They informed people they weren't putting the 1st responders life at risk to save people who could have prepared or left in plenty of time.  It is not your responsibility to save their dog/animals...it stinks that they even owned any animals and took no time to prepare for their welfare!  But as we know their are parents that do this with human children!  

I am sure if it didn't mean you risking your life possibly that you would have gone and got all their animals problem here is that these people think OTHERS should be cleaning up their mess and bailing them out!  I have relatives on my Husbands side of family just like this...I keep reminding my spouse we are NOT their safety net/bank...and we are not bailing them out of their bad decisions financially.  All I hear is about all the stupid things they are doing and zero planning for their old age...just borrow and spend...like there is no tomorrow.  

You did good in texting and being truthful to that husband of your friend....he and she both need it straight!  They owe you a apology....not the other way around.

Super Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

this reminds me of the story tale of grasshopper and ants. I am probably getting this story all mixed up. but the grasshopper  was just fooling around and never prepared for the worst. The ants were preparing for the worst and when the storm hit they saved themselves, the grasshopper came knocking on the ants door to ask them if he could come in and save himself.

http://read.gov/aesop/052.html