Esteemed Contributor

Re: Friendship over because hurricane Harvey

It seems to me its your friends fault, not your fault at all. I know you feel bad you lost a friend. But it seems they were in denial about the hurricane in the beginning, and I suspect many were (as in didn't evacuate or buy food, etc as one should knowing the weather). Its really sad about their dog. They only have themselves to blame. They seem very selfish! So don't feel bad, you did what you could. Its their fault. And last but not least, I am sorry for what you and others had to and have to endure because of the hurricane.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Why would a family buy a home in a flood zone. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote: 

........ And why did she write a book to explain something that needed no explaination?   Not person in the world would have acted dfferently from OP, I agree they were asking too much.  Usually when people feel guilty about something and go on and on and on justifying something, there's a reason....

-------------------

How cruel to say she wrote a book.  The OP is stressed and was trying to tell the whole story.  You could see the length of the post when you opened it, so if you have a short attention span @chrystaltree, you could have skipped the post.  By the way, you've been known to write a book about the stress involved in planning a baby shower - for the babies you rarely talk about. The OP is having real difficulties.

Respected Contributor

Madie, I wouldn't think twice about how you handled this situation. You were wonderful. You opened your home to the animals and these people (won't use the word "friends" because they aren't acting like it and probably haven't in the past) .  You have no need to apologize. You did nothing wrong. Just the opposite. You were very giving and generous. These people did nothing and then wanted others to do the work for them when things got bad. Not the kind of people I would call my friends. And then they berate you for wanting you and your family to be safe. I would not have gone.  Let them take off of work and get the things done that should have been done before the flooding even started. Don't doubt your actions. They were right.  Hope you and your family and the animals are safe during this disaster.

Respected Contributor

@madie wrote:
Thank you to everyone who replied I realize QVC is not a therapy forum, I am just heartbroken about the dog dying heartbroken about losing a friend just plain heartbroken over the state of my hometown. When you survive a disaster of this magnitude you can feel overrun with guilt for being so lucky and it's hard to think clearly, Houston has a very strong help your neighbor attitude so my compulsion is to keep helping them. I am going to help my sister clean out her house and some of our coworkers. Thank you everyone who took the time to reply

@madie  You will always have a voice here and people who can listen, comfort and help ease your distress....

God Bless You Madie!

Honored Contributor

Hmm...I don't know...do "Friends" not prepare for a huge hurricane, run around eating out...then expect another to put themselves in danger to do the job they should have done to save their home and save their animals? Me thinks not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@madie

You did the right thing, offering them and their animals refuge at your home.Heart

As for losing their so-called friendship, I'm reminded of something my GM always said,

"You can't lose something you never had."

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@madie

You did the right thing, offering them and their animals refuge at your home.Heart

As for losing their so-called friendship, I'm reminded of something my GM always said,

"You can't lose something you never had."

Bingo!  The one thing that was readily apparent was that this wasn't a friendhsip; it was more like a friendly acquaintence.  They asked for more than any reasonable person could expect in the circumstances so if they are angry or upset and the relationship is over...so be it...nothing lost.  

Respected Contributor

Your pain is due to the lost of the animal. It is not your fault or guilt to have.

Your 'friends' were responsible for their situation, and loss.

Ask yourself this if you would have gotten stuck in the flood area, with or without their dog, do you think the husband would have come to help you?

They would not make the sacrifice or struggle to try to save their own. They were aware of the situation and did nothing.

You have no guilt or burden to own. You cared and that is the pain. Be kind and gentle to yourself.

Regular Contributor

Many of you are familiar with my Katrina stories and the fact that I still have not gotten over them. This is for you Madie!! My daughter and her 1 year old daughter were evacuating to New Iberia. They had done that before. She was fully packed, had the dog and supplies for awhile. She drove through the torrential rain and when she got there, her in laws answered the door. They told her she could come in but not the 2 pets.     

This was NOT their home. My daughter was stuck in New Iberia where she knew noone and couldn't leave her pets in the car, it was 100 degrees. She drove on through the storm till she found a home of a Reservist who let her stay till she could get a call into us in NY. Her Dad flew down and they drove back here.

I have not spoken to her in laws in 12 years. I cant imagine what they were thinking when they turned away their granddaughter in the midst of Katrina. I believe if there is a hell there will be room for them there.

You were so nice to offer your home. You have nothing to feel badly about. You are true saints in my book. Thank you for your kindness!!