Respected Contributor

Re: Friend turned MK representative-not the same.

Funny thing about this - last week I was looking at FB and someone put a post about how we all need to support each other and then went into this rambling post about she will help any friends and family selling bc to her it was akin to buying local and you are helping them. My first thought - wonder what she sells - Pampered Chef, Scentsy, Mary Kay, etc??? I found the post very funny!!
Respected Contributor

Yuck! I hate all of those MLM scams (AKA pyramid schemes). It seems like my FB is totally cluttered with moms trying to sell ****** and inviting me to "parties."

I've seen it all -- Jamberry, It Works! (no, it doesn't!), Scentsy, Norwex, Thirty-One bags, 21 Day Fix, Thrive, and on and on.

I've hidden and unfriended a lot of people over their spam and obnoxious posts.The one that really makes me laugh is the It Works wraps and "cleanses." I have a liver and kidneys. I don't need a cleanse, thank you very much.Smiley Very Happy

If you have to guilt your friends and family into buying a product, maybe your product and business model aren't legit.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

As WendyWilliams would say "Use your pinky finger" and tell her you don't appreciate being pressured by her sales tactics and that you miss her as a FRIEND. 

@hoosieroriginal

I didn't realize WW was still on the air, but what does "Use your pinky finger" supposed to mean?  

@Tinkrbl44 - I think she means get right up in their face and tell them how you feel.  Don't sugar coat it - be blunt. 

Wouldn't that be the forefinger?  I've never seen someone stick their pinky in someone's face while telling them off 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ladybug, I know...Wendy Williams uses the pinky finger example all the time. Makes no sense to me either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

I once had next-door neighbors who started selling Amway.  They tried to talk to me about it all the time.  I'm pretty good at saying "No" as though I mean it, but they were relentless.  On and on about how much money I would make if I did what they were doing, and there was no escaping it because they lived right next door, our kids played together, etc.  It actually got to the point where my husband went over and told them to stop.  I usually don't like people speaking for me - I'm very big on direct communication.  But that time I was so happy because it was the only thing that worked.  It astounded me that they couldn't see how obnoxious they were being.  Or maybe they did, and just didn't care.

I myself was a Tupperware dealer, so I know what it's like to be in that situation.  But I was the least pushy dealer ever.   My parties were low-key and fun, and I was always mindful of taking a step back and not making my friends uncomfortable in any way.  So it can be done.  But if someone is going to drink the Kool-Aid, then friendships and everything else become secondary.  That's sad.

Regular Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I'd suggest that you very nicely tell her that you will occasionally make a purchase but that's all.

Why  would you even suggest this to the OP???

Respected Contributor

@katiemichelle wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I'd suggest that you very nicely tell her that you will occasionally make a purchase but that's all.

Why  would you even suggest this to the OP???

Uh, yeah, no way would I leave the window open for even the possibility that I might purchase anything. 

Respected Contributor

It is scary to see how easily people can be recruited.

Honored Contributor

I can't even count how many times I've been "befriended" only to be hit up to by one of these home based marketing products. If you wouldn't invite me to a regular party don't invite me to a sales promotion party. 

I recieved a true invite to a get together once and the hostess and I laughed when I said "I'm so relieved I don't have to buy anything!"  

Regular Contributor

I am pleased to say that since I told her that, again, I would NOT be going w/her to her meeting she has toned it down.

I did see her last Thursday with a group of people and she told how she's earned her pearl earrings and bracelet and look, she's now at sapphire level and showed us this big blue sapphire ring and a necklace w/different colors of sapphire-I think it was a station necklace?  She was all proud and happy but it made me sad because I wondered how much product she had to order to get to her sapphire level. I told her congratulations and moved on to another subject.

It is clear I am going to have to be firm and stand my ground because if there is even a glimmer of hope I may buy something from her then it is game on!  She gave her director my cell # without asking my permission.  I just ignore those calls and texts-easy enough to do but jeesh.