Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried Sears? I had one for 35 yrs and left it behind when I moved - still running fine. It was an upright maybe 6' tall - plenty of room. I cooked a lot as I had three kids and also came in handy during those bad winters when I couldn't get out.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@happycat  And you can include bread machines, sewing machines, thermometers and Tylenol.

One of my staff told me that Sam's Club and Walmart sold out of TV's.  I guess that is where some of the stimulus check is going since it was right around the same time that the direct deposts were hitting the accounts.

I hope that they were people with enough money to pay the rent and purchase food.  I suspect that some figured that they got a temporary waiver on paying their rent and utilities so they decided to just splurge and will worry about the rent/utilities in a few months when the bills come due.

Well, good grief. I gave momma my bread machine, a while back, and since this happened I hadn't thought about it.  I guess if worse comes to worse, I can attempt to make bread without a machine. 

I just hope the folks who got stimulus checks or are getting them use them wisely, maybe save some because they are liable to need it. I don't think I'd have bought a new tv with mine, but thats just me. 

My daughter put hers in her savings, and my son and his wife paid off medical bills. I was glad they used the checks responsibly.

@happycat   That is why they are called STIMULUS checks....to stimulate The economy...to BUY things. Being responsible does not stimulate the economy...

@SeaMaiden, I guess you are right, I was thinking it was to help those who have lost their jobs. But, like someone on another thread pointed out, there are still a LOT of people working.

I know a lot who lost their jobs are getting unemployment, but obviously we have a huge problem, we are still seeing those unimaginable long lines for people needing food. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

We have two large freezers; the chest freezer stores meats and casseroles, breads, leftovers, etc. Our upright is primarily for our garden stock. We put out a huge garden every summer and I freeze it all. We've been doing it this way for many, many years. Our son likes to say that he could do his grocery shopping simply from our freezers for a good six months or so. And, in fact, before he got married, he used to come home for dinner and then leave with his "groceries". And when he's in our area, he'll stop in for lunch, nuke something from the freezer, put everything in the dishwasher, and take off again. I'll get a text from him telling me that lunch was really good!

It has stood us well during the Sheltering.

I think that, in the upcoming months, you'll be able to find all sorts of kitchen items at flea markets and yard sales. Once people can go back to restaurants, they will no longer be doing that much cooking.

That is awesome, you know exactly where your food is coming from and who has handled it. 

My in laws make a garden like that, or use to- they have had to tone it down a little b/c father in law has some health issues. Mother in law still cans and freezes a lot.

We have the smallest garden this year we have ever had. I hope next year we can do better. I use to can a lot of tomatoes, hoping I'm able to can some this year. I think chilli and soups just taste better with home canned tomatoes. 

Honored Contributor

We bought a chest freezer for our summer house with the soul purpose of my husband putting *anything that has to do with fishing*--be it bait or whatever he catches.  I would never let him put that in my kitchen fridge/freezer.

However,  he hadn't had a boat for a few years until this past winter, so nothing *gross* has gone in it yet.  Hate to tell him, but he's gonna need another freezer.....

Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

Have you tried Sears? I had one for 35 yrs and left it behind when I moved - still running fine. It was an upright maybe 6' tall - plenty of room. I cooked a lot as I had three kids and also came in handy during those bad winters when I couldn't get out.

Yes I called our local Sears, and the man I talked to told me they had been out since March and he didn't know when they would get any in.

A lot of the places I called said that, I had one tell me he thought they would get some in in September.

Other places didn't know when they would get anything in or what they would get.

I did find one I was able to order from Home Depot, it is suppose to be here next month.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

Amazon has them. Not sure the size you need, but you might give them a look.

You sound like a wonderful and caring Mom🌷

Good luck🌸

I was able to find them one, thank you though. I think I looked on Amazon, and the ones I found weren't as big as I was looking for.

Thank you so much for the compliment.