Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I want to buy my son and his wife a freezer. 

Has anyone looked for freezers lately? 

Well, Lowe's did not have one, neither upright nor chest type. 

Tomorrow I will call some other places and hope that I have some luck. 

I have never seen Lowes with NO freezers. I also looked at a few places on line and they are out too. I think that freezers are gonna go the route of toilet paper. 

What will be next, I wonder? 

@happycat I always have shopped at PC Richards & Sons for appliances and TVs. It could be freezers are in demand, people are stocking up on items, hence the difficulty of finding one.

Esteemed Contributor

Mine came with the house.  Those things are big.  Working on the theory I may be older than it is.

Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@happycat  And you can include bread machines, sewing machines, thermometers and Tylenol.

One of my staff told me that Sam's Club and Walmart sold out of TV's.  I guess that is where some of the stimulus check is going since it was right around the same time that the direct deposts were hitting the accounts.

I hope that they were people with enough money to pay the rent and purchase food.  I suspect that some figured that they got a temporary waiver on paying their rent and utilities so they decided to just splurge and will worry about the rent/utilities in a few months when the bills come due.

It would never even occur to me to begrudge someone spending their stimulus check on a tv but I do think people buying freezers might be hoarders but stores need to sell freezers too.

Trusted Contributor

@happycat   Freezers went out of stock months ago. I mean, back in early March. I know because we purchased one (7 cubic feet) and our delivery date is SEPTEMBER 20, 2020. Now, if we wanted to purchase a commercial freezer, we could. These usually don't fit through doorways or sliding glass doors; usually kept in the garage if purchased by a homeowner. No issue with getting refrigerators if in stock or floor models.

That changed when the whispers of food shortages began. HOWEVER, doing research, the #1 reason for the shortages and why we most likely will NOT see our freezer until December or early next year (if then) is because all the components are made in China.Lowes has offered us the choice of canceling our order due to the time of delivery being unknown. I know a few folks who have done so. 

If components are made in China for something you want, (there are many articles with lists of products if you research),  there's going to be a long wait time.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Contributor

Yes. My husband and I have. We're just looking to replace our old one. We have looked everywhere and no one has any. We have been told that the two big companies that make them in the US closed down because of the virus. They will open back up as soon as it's clear to do so. But no one has any freezers......at all. We have looked at mom and pop stores also. We were also told that the hospital and medical people are grabbing them up first and that the stores would not have any until the end of the summer.

Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@happycat   Freezers went out of stock months ago. I mean, back in early March. I know because we purchased one (7 cubic feet) and our delivery date is SEPTEMBER 20, 2020. Now, if we wanted to purchase a commercial freezer, we could. These usually don't fit through doorways or sliding glass doors; usually kept in the garage if purchased by a homeowner. No issue with getting refrigerators if in stock or floor models.

That changed when the whispers of food shortages began. HOWEVER, doing research, the #1 reason for the shortages and why we most likely will NOT see our freezer until December or early next year (if then) is because all the components are made in China.Lowes has offered us the choice of canceling our order due to the time of delivery being unknown. I know a few folks who have done so. 

If components are made in China for something you want, (there are many articles with lists of products if you research),  there's going to be a long wait time.

The one I ordered was from Home Depot and it is suppose to be delivered in June. I guess we shall see, now I wonder, since I read your post and some of the others. 

One thing I found interesting, there are plenty of Viking freezers you can order. I guess I have lived under a rock my whole life, I never knew they made freezers that were $7,000.00 and up. I had heard of the brand, but I have never seen those in any of the stores we have been in. I don't think they sell them in this town, lol unless special order.

I can't imagine spending that much on a freezer. Or any appliance really. I guess there are plenty of people who do, or the company wouldn't stay in business.

I am just wondering what is so special about a Viking appliance. Maybe someone will enlighten me.  

Respected Contributor
I bought a washer and dryer the weekend of March 12. It took much longer than I expected to get the delivery scheduled. When it finally came, the delivery guy said they had been swamped delivering refrigerators and freezers.
Valued Contributor

Amazon has them. Not sure the size you need, but you might give them a look.

You sound like a wonderful and caring Mom🌷

Good luck🌸

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@happycat  And you can include bread machines, sewing machines, thermometers and Tylenol.

One of my staff told me that Sam's Club and Walmart sold out of TV's.  I guess that is where some of the stimulus check is going since it was right around the same time that the direct deposts were hitting the accounts.

I hope that they were people with enough money to pay the rent and purchase food.  I suspect that some figured that they got a temporary waiver on paying their rent and utilities so they decided to just splurge and will worry about the rent/utilities in a few months when the bills come due.

Well, good grief. I gave momma my bread machine, a while back, and since this happened I hadn't thought about it.  I guess if worse comes to worse, I can attempt to make bread without a machine. 

I just hope the folks who got stimulus checks or are getting them use them wisely, maybe save some because they are liable to need it. I don't think I'd have bought a new tv with mine, but thats just me. 

My daughter put hers in her savings, and my son and his wife paid off medical bills. I was glad they used the checks responsibly.

@happycat   That is why they are called STIMULUS checks....to stimulate The economy...to BUY things. Being responsible does not stimulate the economy...

Trusted Contributor

We have two large freezers; the chest freezer stores meats and casseroles, breads, leftovers, etc. Our upright is primarily for our garden stock. We put out a huge garden every summer and I freeze it all. We've been doing it this way for many, many years. Our son likes to say that he could do his grocery shopping simply from our freezers for a good six months or so. And, in fact, before he got married, he used to come home for dinner and then leave with his "groceries". And when he's in our area, he'll stop in for lunch, nuke something from the freezer, put everything in the dishwasher, and take off again. I'll get a text from him telling me that lunch was really good!

It has stood us well during the Sheltering.

I think that, in the upcoming months, you'll be able to find all sorts of kitchen items at flea markets and yard sales. Once people can go back to restaurants, they will no longer be doing that much cooking.