Trusted Contributor

Hi, Mellie,

Hope you have a great summer!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Freeeeeeeeedom!

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

Our schools run into June, but I always wondered if the teachers were as happy as the kids on the last day.

@AuntG 

That's probably because your schools start in Sept. after Labor Day.  Our schools end in May, but those poor kids and teachers are back in school in early to mid August, in the hottest part of summer.  I don't know why the schedule is set up that way, but it is.  And as a former teacher, I can tell you that yes, the teachers are just as happy as the kids.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Enjoy your "Freedom" @Mellie32 .  Rewind, rejuvinate and sleep as late as you can.  Build up and save up for the next go round.

Every teacher/friend I've ever known has always loved their job, but also had to work summer jobs.  Never knew any that actually enjoyed their summer.

Wow.  I know many teachers and I can't think of one of them that has a summer job except maybe an extra 4 weeks or so to do summer school.  I have thought about a summer job, but it would just be to have something to do.  I don't really need the money.

@Preds @Mellie32 , you’re both correct! 😊  At the beginning of my teaching career, teachers were paid a pittance.  Most male teachers and lots of female teachers had second jobs. During the summer months, it was fairly common for guy teachers to make extra money mowing lawns, painting houses, doing odd jobs, etc.  

As time went on, teacher salaries rose in my state. Toward the end of my career it seemed fewer teachers had to work 2 jobs though some continued to do that, especially the men. Most moms chose to spend more time at home with their own children during summer months. 

Teacher salaries can vary greatly from state to state.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Freeeeeeeeedom!

[ Edited ]

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Enjoy your "Freedom" @Mellie32 .  Rewind, rejuvinate and sleep as late as you can.  Build up and save up for the next go round.

Every teacher/friend I've ever known has always loved their job, but also had to work summer jobs.  Never knew any that actually enjoyed their summer.

Wow.  I know many teachers and I can't think of one of them that has a summer job except maybe an extra 4 weeks or so to do summer school.  I have thought about a summer job, but it would just be to have something to do.  I don't really need the money.

Many teachers here work summer jobs, and a second job during the school year.  Teachers here don't make much. Under 40k a year.