Honored Contributor

Our schools run into June, but I always wondered if the teachers were as happy as the kids on the last day.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 

Enjoy your summer & I appreciate all teachers.  It's not a easy job but it takes a certain person to teach our children!  I spent 3 hours in my GD 2nd grade classroom ...

fyi: I'd be fired in a minute😉...her teacher is wonderful & I kidded my GD I was going to send her 1 dozen roses because she has the "patience of a saint" 😳to thank her!!!

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Our schools run into June, but I always wondered if the teachers were as happy as the kids on the last day.

Our super sweet music teacher was crying on the last day.  I'm usually a big sap too, but I was doing a little dance instead.  Smiley Happy  I think the only last day of the year I cried was when I had my first class of students.  They were such a great group of kids that I was sad to see them go.  

Super Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Enjoy your summer and be thankful you have a professional that gives you summers off to rest and have fun.  Most of my family members are teachers and I have always that it must be a wonderful feeling when May arrives and you have a summer off to look forward to.  

@chrystaltree @Mellie32   During the summer break I was expected to attend alost weekly professional development for my certification renewal, re-do (clean, paint, move) my classroom, learn new technology for the upcoming year (Smartboards, electronic textboooks). Prepare new lesson plans as well.

I've never had a summer off.

Respected Contributor

Re: Freeeeeeeeedom!

[ Edited ]

@Maestra1 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Enjoy your summer and be thankful you have a professional that gives you summers off to rest and have fun.  Most of my family members are teachers and I have always that it must be a wonderful feeling when May arrives and you have a summer off to look forward to.  

@chrystaltree @Mellie32   During the summer break I was expected to attend alost weekly professional development for my certification renewal, re-do (clean, paint, move) my classroom, learn new technology for the upcoming year (Smartboards, electronic textboooks). Prepare new lesson plans as well.

I've never had a summer off.

I've never experienced an entire summer of professional development.  Almost weekly?  Why?  Don't you do any PD during the school year for your renewal?  And you don't have to renew every year so that would only happen every few years.

And you had to paint, clean and move your classroom every summer?

Even if you had to do PD and move your classroom every year, you had MOST of the summer off.  Much more than anyone in any other profession.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Freeeeeeeeedom!

[ Edited ]

@Mellie32 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Most people I know do not think much of public school teachers, I don't know if it's because they had bad experiences with teachers in school or they are jealous the teachers do not work summers. My husband is a retired high school math teacher and has had to tell people he absolutely does not get paid vacation in the summer. For some reason they don't get it that teachers are only paid 9 months or 36 weeks out of the year. If you can imagine, he's had people argue with him about that.LOL

It really confuses not-so-bright people when a teachers tell them they get paychecks in the summer.  They assume that means they're getting paid for not working in the summer.  Um, no.  Like you said - teachers work 9 months a year and get paid for only 9 months of work.  Some just choose to stretch that salary over 12 months so they'll have paychecks in the summer.

Here they don't give  an option to divide teacher salary into 12 months.

One has to budget themselves, for the summer months.

Not everyone has the summer free .Some  work summer jobs, teach summer school, take classes, and  also get their classroom/lesson plans ready.

Esteemed Contributor

So happy for you! Finals this coming week then a nice break for me. February, the shortest month, lasted forever. Looking forward to sunshine. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

Mellie32,  Have a wonderful summer!  How blessed are your students who you teach.  I have several friends who are teachers and they say they same about every once in a while having that "challenging" class and how summer cannot get here soon enough.  Luckily like you said it does not happen all that often.

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32   Hiya Mel!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh