Respected Contributor

I'm usually a little sad at the end of a school year, but not this one.  What a stressful, exhausting year.  Here's to summertime!  

Image result for lemonade cheers

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32  I absolutely cannot imagine being a teacher these days.  The stress put upon teachers (so I've been told) is crazy.

I used to be a mother's helper in every classroom of all 3 of my daughters right up until they got into high school.  Then I helped out in the office.

Several years ago all of my friends (I had a lot of them) retired early because they didn't like the changes that were taking place in the elementary and middle schools.

I salute you and all teachers.  They definitely don't get enough recognition or money for what they do.

If you want to be recognized and appreciated by the parents; go to some schools in Fairfax County, Va.  My daughter has 3 children in county schools and one in private school there.

The parents in the schools her children go to show their appreciation monetarily and in supporting the teachers (i.e. help and otherwise).  I can't speak for all schools there, but I know the one's (which included all three levels) those teachers are appreciated by parents  

Honored Contributor

Enjoy your summer and be thankful you have a professional that gives you summers off to rest and have fun.  Most of my family members are teachers and I have always that it must be a wonderful feeling when May arrives and you have a summer off to look forward to.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Mellie32  I absolutely cannot imagine being a teacher these days.  The stress put upon teachers (so I've been told) is crazy.

I used to be a mother's helper in every classroom of all 3 of my daughters right up until they got into high school.  Then I helped out in the office.

Several years ago all of my friends (I had a lot of them) retired early because they didn't like the changes that were taking place in the elementary and middle schools.

I salute you and all teachers.  They definitely don't get enough recognition or money for what they do.

If you want to be recognized and appreciated by the parents; go to some schools in Fairfax County, Va.  My daughter has 3 children in county schools and one in private school there.

The parents in the schools her children go to show their appreciation monetarily and in supporting the teachers (i.e. help and otherwise).  I can't speak for all schools there, but I know the one's (which included all three levels) those teachers are appreciated by parents  

Two of my children are teachers and would not choose any other career. Most teachers love their jobs and their students. For those who don't, moving on is best for everyone.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

Thank you, Annabelle.  No one truly understands what we go through until they're in our shoes.  It's not all sunshine and frogs.  You always have one or two ornery kids in class, but some years you get half of the class who walk in at 8 a.m. on a level 9.2 and never slow down the whole day.  Thankfully, that only seems to happen to me every 5 years or so.  This is my third year that has made me want to retire early, but I'm going to trudge on.  I'm sure next year will be wonderful again.

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32  With your obvious ability (as a teacher) to quell over-excitement...please take a trip over to 

Mount St. Helens in WA State

[ Edited ] and calm things down...thanks ahead of time.

Honored Contributor

You're lucky.  Where I live, the schools don't get out until mid-June.

Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

Two of my children are teachers and would not choose any other career. Most teachers love their jobs and their students. For those who don't, moving on is best for everyone.

If this comment was indirectly about me, I DO love my job and my students.  I don't love every year just like most people have moments in their job where they hate it.  I'm sure if your children have an extra difficult year and complain about it you wouldn't tell them that they need to move on from the job that they love.  

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

You're lucky.  Where I live, the schools don't get out until mid-June.

But we start in mid-August.  

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

Both my sons in law are teachers as well as several cousins and their children who have followed them into teacher.  They all love their profession and would do anything else even if they had the opportunity.  Certainly teaching has it's challenges but so does every other job.   The thing that makes it manageable for them is that teachers get all that time off to decompress.  Not just summers but the school vacations and holidays.  Over the years, I have worked with a few people who tried teaching and left.  I do think those who don't like it, who know it isn't the career for them, realize it very early and they do leave.