Esteemed Contributor

A study conducted by the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research had this to say on the subject:

Working full-time after the age of 40 is not good for the brain. Doing more than three days a week once you reach this age can damage your ability to think. A paper from the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research says that, while working up to 30 hours a week is good for the brains of the over-40s, do any more than that and it goes downhill. If you were to work 60 hours a week, your cognitive ability would be worse than that of someone who didn’t work at all. Still, on the plus side, you would have more money than them.

The researchers used data from more than 3,000 men and 3,500 women who completed the national Household Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia (Hilda) survey. The survey tested the ability to read words aloud, recite lists of numbers and match letters and numbers in a speed trial. Testing reading is a measure of the “knowing” part of ability, says lead author Prof Colin McKenzie, while the other two tests capture fluid intelligence – the “thinking” part of ability that includes memory, abstract reasoning and executive reasoning.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/aug/08/should-people-over-40-work-a-three-day-week?CMP...

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

I feel the opposite.  The longer you work, the sharper your mind is and the healthier you are.

Honored Contributor

Rubbish....lol   And I don't even have to read the article to know that...lol   Actually, I belive it's the opposite.  I've read studies that say that but just living and using my (over 40) brain is enough to know that the longer we work, the healthier it is for or brains.  It's like the muscles in our bodies, use it or lose. 

Honored Contributor

Well, whether or not it's good for me, the mortgage needs to be paid, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

This research sounds very strange.  I did not click on the link, but what work are they speaking about here?  Are they lumping any & all professions into their study results?  That study has a lot of explaining to do.  On the face of it, I don't buy it at all.

Honored Contributor

It specifically refers to no more than 30 hours a week as optimal, then they say we get duller if we work longer hours.  

I'd be surprised if that was true.

Honored Contributor

Oh, maybe that's what's wrong with meWoman Frustrated. I used to work 60+ hours each week. No wonder.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I work over fifty hours a week and thought it was my age that was messing with me!  Woo Hoo ... it's the hours!  LOL  Need to tell my bosses that I need more time off!  Smiley Wink   They are begging me to stay five or more years.

Don't agree with the study, but good ammo for when I do want to retire. ROTFL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Great, just more ammunition to discriminate in the work place. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Rubbish....lol   And I don't even have to read the article to know that...lol   Actually, I belive it's the opposite.  I've read studies that say that but just living and using my (over 40) brain is enough to know that the longer we work, the healthier it is for or brains.  It's like the muscles in our bodies, use it or lose. 

It's not like you aren't using your brain when you're not working. There are ways to challenge your brain outside of a paid position.  

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval