Honored Contributor

Re: For those of us still in the grips of summer heat...

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@Spurt  Do you know even with the rain we've gotten, they just anounced a drought watch on us?  It's been so hot for so long all the rain didn't matter!  

@Laura14

WOW Laura, that sounds like you are indeed in midst of a really bad drought.  So sorry!!! Yep, a long spell of hot dry weather can really make a long time impact.............

They FINALLY just removed our lawn watering restrictions!!!  But some lakes in our surrounding areas are still a bit low.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I was in shock when they announced it. 

We had a true drought several years ago that was really bad.  This year I don't see it but we're in the severe category almost to extreme and some parts of GA went to exceptional today. 

Not sure what they are measuring but usually one good hurricane takes care of that so I guess I better watch my back!  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Spurt  I was in shock when they announced it. 

We had a true drought several years ago that was really bad.  This year I don't see it but we're in the severe category almost to extreme and some parts of GA went to exceptional today. 

Not sure what they are measuring but usually one good hurricane takes care of that so I guess I better watch my back!  

@Laura14

Yep be careful what you wish for because then you will have the opposite problem with flooding and tons of mosquitos.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  Noted!  Come to think of it haven't seen many mosquitoes in the past few years.  I guess they might be right.  Not enough rain around these here parts.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14The squitos are all here in SC & NC -

Valued Contributor

Western Pa, still humid.  Dehumidifier dumped twice a day.  We had a cool patch a few days ago but mid 80's with high humidity several days next week.  It just doesn't cool down at night but we're really lucky because Pittsburgh has been flooding with nearly every storm.  Tornado just 50 miles from us the other night but we have escaped with just rain showers.  No mosquito problem but the stink bugs are out and they're aggressive.  Hate bugs and hot humid weather.

Respected Contributor

Here in Maryland it's been warm too. Almost 90 yesterday. Today it was upper 60s and rainy but next week it warms up again to the 80s. We'll probably miss fall and go right to winter in November. 😅
Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14  Oh, I just wish I had your mail person.  Our mailman WON'T DELIVER if the sprinkler is on!  One day my mail didn't arrive. When I saw him the next day he told me that he doesn't want his feet to get wet because then he would have to walk around for the rest of the day in wet socks. 

Our mail delivery happens at all different times of the day, so I have to decide which I want more - happy, live plants or that day's mail. 

We're still having temps in the low 90s. I love summer but by October I would like to feel some cool breezes.  I'm sick of my summer clothes.  Ugh.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

We put dry molasses and corn gluten meal down in the spring and fall as organic pre-emergents. We water it in and it works better than any chemical stuff like Scotts.....which killed our lawn the one time we used it.
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags LoL! That is a dilemma. I am so sorry. Mine actually stopped, parked, and dove right in.