Respected Contributor

For those living in Los Angeles

The LA Times came out with a chart identifying some 13,500 apartments and condos that may be at risk for collapse in a major earthquake and will likely need retrofitting. You can search the database using the link provided in the article for specific addresses.

"City inspectors spent about two years developing a list of 13,500 so-called soft-story buildings that will probably need seismic strengthening. These apartments, which feature flimsy first floors that often serve as parking spaces, became popular after World War II as Los Angeles was spreading north into the Valley and west toward the ocean..."

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-quake-risk-20160415-story.html

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Re: For those living in Los Angeles

@Say Nay

Hey, thanks !!!

Esteemed Contributor

Scary!

Respected Contributor

That is truly frightening...

Respected Contributor

I'm surprised we don't have more than that!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As it happens, my monthly free access to the Times website has been used up. Sigh.

But as a recent bail-out, I'm positive my building would have been on the list. It was built in the 50s or early 60s, and had the parking under the back apartment (which fortunately wasn't me). But I was well aware that should a large quake hit, all of our cars would be buh-byee or be unable to be retrieved.

It's been known for a while that the retrofits would be mandatory and that costs would be split between landlords and tenants. I got out just in time ;-)

But IMO these being older buildings to start with and landlords already needing to make constant repairs, it's highly likely that many will sell their buildings for tear-downs, or do it themselves, and put up new buildings with rent that no one can afford. People can't afford the rents on the old buildings as it is.

If the landlord does do the retrofitting, the amount of increased rents tenants will be required to pay as their share of the retrofitting will be disastrous. I think the funding should be between the state, county and Federal govts and the landlords. Why penalize tenants who can barely afford to live there as it is?

ETA: I got in with a different browser. My former apt was indeed on the list, as were several consecutive city blocks of my street, almost every building.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

There are some with the same construction here in my town. One always wonders how a second story is supported by poles in a car port. I know they are to be retrofitted here.