Valued Contributor

My husband and I will be visiting New Mexico for a week starting on 10/3.  We will be in Albuquerque -- Taos -- and Santa Fe.  I would really appreciate clothing advice for this time of year.  Pants -- jeans -- capris?  Short or long sleeves?  Are women still wearing sandals?  Light jacket?  Thanks so much for your help!

Respected Contributor

Re: ?? For New Mexico Residents

I don't live in New Mexico (but I hope to one day).  I traveled there in May and was in Taos right before Memorial Day weekend....snow and cold.  It was not what I was expecting.  I ended up buying a jacket.  Thank goodness the hotel room had a fireplace....it was on every night I was there.

Albuquerque will be the warmest of the 3.  I would  check weather.com to get the correct forecast .....something I did not do.

Respected Contributor

Forgot to say....enjoy your trip.  I thought it was fantastic there.

Trusted Contributor

paging @ Kachina. @judy0330 needs help with New Mexico weather.

We usually go later in October to visit our son and the part that he is in is usually in 60's or even 50's then. I usually bring long pants-3/4 sleeves and a light jacket. I normally have regular shoes.

He is in the central eastern part of the state.

I'm sure @ Kachina can give you much more information.

TIA

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

@judy0330 :  I go to N.M. 4-6 times a year and always visit our son in Albuquerque.  Jeans, sneakers (it's a little late for sandals) and a light jacket.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps just looking at the 10-day upcoming forecast for the areas you are travelling to would be more accurate. I always keep an eye on the weather channel when I'm travelling.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@judy0330 

Yes, Santa Fe and Taos will be cooler than Albuquerque.  But this is a tricky time of year.  You'll be here during the Balloon Fiesta and if Albuquerque is going to have weird weather it's going to happen during the fiesta.

Nothing grounds balloons faster than high winds.  And what we think is a light breeze is too windy for balloonists.

In October, mornings are brisk.  As soon as the sun rises, temperatures warm up pretty quickly.

Three words: Layer, layer, layer.

If you plan to visit the Balloon Fiesta Park early in the morning, bundle up.  Pants, socks, shoes, jacket, hat and gloves.  But as it warms up be prepared to shed a layer or two.

This is the high desert.  When the sun is shining it feels warm even if the thermometer says it isn't.  But when the sun sets the temperature drops like a rock.  At least carry a jacket with you when you go to dinner.  When you leave the restaurant you'll need it.

This is high altitude country.  Pack a quality lip balm and keep it on your person at all times.  Drink a lot of water.  Wear sunglasses.

Be prepared for anything.  Albuquerque is not Phoenix.  It's very likely that it will still be in the 70s when the sun is shining, but mornings and evenings will drop down into the 50s and possibly the 40s.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@judy0330.  The weather is all over the place this time of year.  Are you coming for balloon fiesta?  Days have been very warm; it's supposed to be 78° today, up to 86° one day next week.  However, night and early mornings can be very chilly, in low 50s.  I'm sleeping under a down blanket at night.  I'd need more than a light jacket if I was going to be outside for long at or before dawn.  No sandals,  jeans and tees with sneakers.  Be sure to bring sun screen as the sun is very intense at 5200 ft altitude, and lip balm as it's very dry here.

Hope you have a great time here!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@judy0330 

ABQ

ABQ

A little hard to see, but there are a lot of jackets out there.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@judy0330 

Santa Fe and Taos tend to be a tad more formal while Albuquerque is casual and comfortable.  When we moved here I dressed to go to the symphony and saw a lot of jeans and sweatshirts.

Make sure your shoes are comfortable!