Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

FYI  a font can appear larger or smaller just by changing the font family you write in, without changing font size.

I take it you posted the font sizes in the default font family.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Anonymous032819 

FYI  a font can appear larger or smaller just by changing the font family you write in, without changing font size.

That's a great point, @x Hedge.   Also, I've noticed that choosing a text color can affect the perception of font size.

eta:  A few of the font families, such as Symbol, Webdings, and Wingdings have the potential to translate into unexpected Unicode characters and symbols.  

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

Andale Mono

Arial

Arial Black

Batang

Book Antique

Comic Sans ND

Courier New

Georgia

Helvetica

Impact

Lucida Sans Unicode

MingLiU

MS PMincho

They all look pretty much the same to me.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

@Anonymous032819 

That's a great point, @x Hedge.   Also, I've noticed that choosing a text color can affect the perception of font size.

Thank you @dooBdoo .

I usually do change font color.

I aim to increase readability by increasing color contrast, but no longer routinely change default size or font family out of respect to people's personal settings. 

Also, while some are navigating with a mouse, others who have the more versatile touchscreens are constantly tweaking the appearance of font on the screen to their liking. I can (and do) pinch and squeeze to immediately adjust size as needed. 

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Andale Mono

Arial

Arial Black

Batang

Book Antique

Comic Sans ND

Courier New

Georgia

Helvetica

Impact

Lucida Sans Unicode

MingLiU

MS PMincho

@Anonymous032819,

I see a few differences on my 2 devices.

How do these screen shots compare to what you're seeing?

Your post on my iPad:

iPadImage.jpg

Your post on my iMac:

MacImage.jpg

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Andale Mono

Arial

Arial Black

Batang

Book Antique

Comic Sans ND

Courier New

Georgia

Helvetica

Impact

Lucida Sans Unicode

MingLiU

MS PMincho

@Anonymous032819,

I see a few differences on my 2 devices.

How do these screen shots compare to what you're seeing?

Your post on my iPad:

iPadImage.jpg

Your post on my iMac:

MacImage.jpg

On your iMac it looks different. Other than that, with the exception of Courier New, they still look pretty much the same.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Anonymous032819!😊

Esteemed Contributor

I used to experiment posting with different font families, and when you have paragraphs to compare it really stands out.

Its also about how compressed a font is. I could write the same sentence and one would fit on one line, another font needed a line and a half.

⬆    These are two font families, same size  @Anonymous032819 .

@dooBdoo  

Not an Apple device.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I used to experiment posting with different font families, and when you have paragraphs to compare it really stands out.

Its also about how compressed a font is. I could write the same sentence and one would fit on one line, another font needed a line and a half.

⬆    These are two font families, same size  @Anonymous032819 .

@x Hedge,  This really does exhibit the differences in the way our devices interpret posts.

Your post looks the same on my Mac and iPad, but they see the first paragraph's HTML code as being the website's default text size and font "batang,apple gothic"

and the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs show as being size 4 and font family "ms pmincho,hiragino mincho pron".

Here's a screen shot of the rich text post screen shot:

QFontTestRichTxt.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Here's another one where the appearance of font size is quite different, although they're both written in the default font size.

This is the Andale Mono. There is a lot of space between letters.

And this is in Tahoma, which appears to be a lot smaller to me.

It's the same default size and personally, I see Art deco arches in this font. Hmmm...