Honored Contributor

Re: Follow up to "Neighbor Stole my Cookies"

thanks for coming back @Carmie and giving us an update. not everyone is so inclined to do that around here. while sad, it is nice to hear that the daughter recognizes the problems and is confronting them. i hope everything goes well once she gets her moved in and settled.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Carmie

I'm so glad you handled it the way you did, you were thoughtful, kind and understanding.  I assumed it was neurological.

And how wonderful the daughter will be there for her.

THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATE.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie Thanks for the update.

This made me a tear up.

I am glad your neighbor has her daughter to live with. Heart

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I'm glad that the lady wasn't a cold-hearted thief like some automatically said that she was.

I knew that there had to be a medical reason why this lady that was nice and upstanding, suddenly changed her whole personality, almost overnight.

I'm even happier that her daughter is taking care of her mother by taking her in.

And you were the first on to post on that thread saying:

"That's shameful!"

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the update. I wondered what the reason was and am glad that she wasn't seriously hurt by the laundry/oil/oven situation- how terrifying! She has someone to care for and about her and she is very fortunate. I wish both of them peace.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I'm glad that the lady wasn't a cold-hearted thief like some automatically said that she was.

I knew that there had to be a medical reason why this lady that was nice and upstanding, suddenly changed her whole personality, almost overnight.

I'm even happier that her daughter is taking care of her mother by taking her in.

"That's shameful!"

Yes, it was shameful that the cookies were taken, but if you also recall, I also said that there was probably a medical reason for why she did it.

Or, are you conveniently forgetting that?

Or do you just like to take things out of context, just so you can have a "gotcha!" moment to feel "superior"?

Respected Contributor

I read your original thread and thank you for the follow-up. Knowing this lady for so many years your instinct was correct. It was lucky her daughter stepped in before the whole house burned down. I too was uncomfortable with the responses accusing her of being a thief and saying you should trap or confront her. You demonstrated common sense and compassion.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

"That's shameful!"

Yes, it was shameful that the cookies were taken, but if you also recall, I also said that there was probably a medical reason for why she did it.

Or, are you conveniently forgetting that?

Or do you just like to take things out of context, just so you can have a "gotcha!" moment to feel "superior"?

You had to bring it up right out the gate in your first sentence on this thread. 

Did anyone actually say she was a "cold hearted thief"? 

People were responding to a thread titled:  'Neighbor stole my cookies'. 

We didn't have too much to go on except that the cookies were noticably gone after the neighbor left in a hurry while the poster was out of the room.  (The OP did question dementia in her last paragraph).

But you felt the need to admonish posters from the previous thread in your first sentence on this thread. 

Maybe to make yourself feel superior?

Honored Contributor

It's not shameful, the lady has a neurological disability and cannot be held responsible for her behavior.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie, aww that's so sad, yet good that her daughter realized what was happening with her mother and took steps to prevent, hopefully, a tragedy.

I'm so glad you talked to her about it. It rests your mind also to know that had the daughter not been aware, you alerted her.

"To each their own, in all things".