Honored Contributor

Re: Firming your body for over 50 success stories

Og Lord, it is hard.  No fair either!  I would think God would allow you to eat more as you age, but alas tis not!

i am 71 with RA and a bad back.  Scoliosis, stenosis, sciatica, herniated discs, among other things.  I have lost about 20 over a year and a half.  Just lost it, didn't try.  My skin is getting loose.  But last couple years  I increased exercise, I do bike cause I cant walk that far to accomplish strengthening. I do weights, and strength training. I joined a gym 7 years a go and never quit.  I would do ok, then be down for weeks due to surgery or back or hip or knee lol!  Then have to start all over again.  Last year I got bat wings and my inner thighs jiggled when I walked.  That was it!!!  .  I go 4 times a week to gym now.   I pull a rope, do bike, lift weights for specific areas.   i bought a mat, went on amazon got a couple sand weights to do at home in between gym.  I got this piece of equipment that is sort of like a thigh master for arms.  That sucker works! I worked at it.  I dont do hours of exercise, but I do some every darn day.  I am stronger.  My back feels better than it did.  I get epidurals 2 x a year instead of 3 times a year and suffering in between.  It was hard at first, and my muscles were sore for days.  What am I saying, I still get sore.  I look like Tim Conway milliomn year old man on Carol Burnett, lol! Omg.  But it works for me.  For the first time on years I wear a sleeveless dress around the house, and use a crochet shrug when I go out.  And the bra roll in my back is strong, firmer and is gone.  I am a sure size 12, and down to a large top from xl.  i bought a large Lisa rinna maxi dress and it is a bit large on me.  

I am not overjoyed I have to work twice as hard just to barely maintain my muscle.  Every few weeks I  start to get a bit looser from age, and I have to up exercise. Never ends. 

Maddening, but it does have its rewards, and I feel so much better, truthfully.  People who exercise always tell you that...but it is true.  Anything you can do will help.  One step leads to change and a little change leads to more.  Takes a while to notice, but it happens.  Whew!!!

Respected Contributor

I do pilates every night, walk a few times a week, and kayak when my body allows..I am 62

Honored Contributor

I'll be 64 in about a month and on July 1st, I started a 30/30 challenge to myself.  30 minutes of exercise a day for 30 days.  Granted this is only day 4, but I have started walking and today went further than a few days ago.  On work days I get up early and do Leslie Sansone walking DVDs, on days off I walk outside at the park for 30 minutes, if I add in the warm up and cool down it equals to about 50 minutes of walking  This may sound crazy but I already feel better - my mood is better and I noticed today I went farther in my 30 minutes than just a few days ago so must be walking faster.  I also have the Body Gym and will start using that for upper body workouts.  Have used it in the past and that thing works!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!  

Honored Contributor

@Beautiful life go to Wellness and in that you will find a "July Exercise" thread.  There is one for every month and all the posters there are in different stages of exercise and fitness but all very supportive and wonderful.  Join in and get ideas on what you can do and lots of support!

Honored Contributor

@Beautiful life wrote:

I’m flabby, yes I need to lose around 30 lbs. I exercise in the pool,

I have HERNIATED DISK in neck and back, sciatica so I need to be careful. 

How do you firm up?  I would love to wear sleeveless tops and shorts. Arms and inner  thighs are terrible. 

@Beautiful life

Head on over to the Wellness Forum and you will find many many threads, from different people, with different ways of doing this.

I  recently turned 79, have 3 crushed vertebrae in my neck/2 back surgeries that removed my L-3/L-5/S-1 lumbar discs.  Couldn't do anything close to my "normal fitness exercises(training)" for almost 15 years.

In the last about 16 months(starting at age 78), I miraculously have stayed free of life altering health events, and I started my way to fitness with 2 minutes of slow walking on 1 of our treadmills.

Commitment/Desire/Optimism, to name a few, has gotten me to a fitness level i enjoyed in my 40's.

Too many get in "too big a hurry" to change in days/weeks/months and years, of doing nothing very positive for their bodies, and expect short term BIG results. It does not happen that way.

I could type a novel length reply to this, but there is so much information you can read in threads/posts on the Wellness Forum. See ya there, eh?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I did LipoLaser and Cool Scupting, working out.  Still not where I want to be but much better! 

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone!!! 

Trusted Contributor

@shoekitty what is the name of the arm exerciser you are using? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

One of my arm exercises for years three times a week for a count of 50 just using my coffee table.  Put all your weight on your arms as you lower to a squat position.  Do a few and work up to as many as possible.  I have one 10 pd. free weight that I use for just lifting each arm in many different ways as curls and straight up in the air.  Have sculpted arms but not overly muscular to me, but there is muscle after weekly work for many years.  There are some youtube videos as well to help you things at home for arm workouts.  Google arm coffee table workouts.

Image result for arms with coffee table work out

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Og Lord, it is hard.  No fair either!  I would think God would allow you to eat more as you age, but alas tis not!

i am 71 with RA and a bad back.  Scoliosis, stenosis, sciatica, herniated discs, among other things.  I have lost about 20 over a year and a half.  Just lost it, didn't try.  My skin is getting loose.  But last couple years  I increased exercise, I do bike cause I cant walk that far to accomplish strengthening. I do weights, and strength training. I joined a gym 7 years a go and never quit.  I would do ok, then be down for weeks due to surgery or back or hip or knee lol!  Then have to start all over again.  Last year I got bat wings and my inner thighs jiggled when I walked.  That was it!!!  .  I go 4 times a week to gym now.   I pull a rope, do bike, lift weights for specific areas.   i bought a mat, went on amazon got a couple sand weights to do at home in between gym.  I got this piece of equipment that is sort of like a thigh master for arms.  That sucker works! I worked at it.  I dont do hours of exercise, but I do some every darn day.  I am stronger.  My back feels better than it did.  I get epidurals 2 x a year instead of 3 times a year and suffering in between.  It was hard at first, and my muscles were sore for days.  What am I saying, I still get sore.  I look like Tim Conway milliomn year old man on Carol Burnett, lol! Omg.  But it works for me.  For the first time on years I wear a sleeveless dress around the house, and use a crochet shrug when I go out.  And the bra roll in my back is strong, firmer and is gone.  I am a sure size 12, and down to a large top from xl.  i bought a large Lisa rinna maxi dress and it is a bit large on me.  

I am not overjoyed I have to work twice as hard just to barely maintain my muscle.  Every few weeks I  start to get a bit looser from age, and I have to up exercise. Never ends. 

Maddening, but it does have its rewards, and I feel so much better, truthfully.  People who exercise always tell you that...but it is true.  Anything you can do will help.  One step leads to change and a little change leads to more.  Takes a while to notice, but it happens.  Whew!!!

@shoekitty  WOW your post is so inspiring! Thank you for sharing....Woman Happy