Trusted Contributor

I e-filed our tax returns 5 weeks ago and still no Federal refund!  I have efiled for the last 12 years, and I know I did it correctly, so I don't know why the long wait, because in previous years, we received the refund (direct deposit) within 8 or 9 days!!

Respected Contributor

Is it true we get until May to file this year?

Respected Contributor

@KKJ 

Look here for tax filing details.  Be sure to read the details.  The extended deadline doesn't apply to all taxes due.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-day-for-individuals-extended-to-may-17-treasury-irs-extend-filing-a...

Respected Contributor

Re: Filed my Taxes!!!

[ Edited ]

The tax preparation firm that we use every year  electronically filed our tax return on March 30, and our bank account shows a substantial refund was already deposited several days ago.  Fast work!

State tax refund  also posted to our bank account a day or two before federal refund arrived.

Maybe it pays to have taxes done by a professional firm rather than trying it from home???  Not sure. 

Maybe the IRS has more faith in returns that are filed by well-known prep firms rather than individual taxpayers, so doesn't take as much time reviewing them.  Just guessing here.....

Respected Contributor

Thanks. It doesn't really affect me as it only applies to federal pmts.  I owe State taxes and of course those are still due April 15!

Esteemed Contributor

@KKJ :  Be sure and double check about your state's deadline; in my state (AZ) the Governor changed deadline to match Feds.

Esteemed Contributor

Our Accountant filed our taxes electronically exactly 2 weeks ago and (per IRS.gov) we will receive our refund by April 14th.  So things are already a little slower than last year.  If you can file before new deadline, do it.