Esteemed Contributor

Re: Felicity Huffman pleads guilty

Based upon the sentencing formula used by the United States Attorney taking into account the amount of $ used, Lori and Mossimo could be in big, big trouble, prison time wise.

Esteemed Contributor

It has been reported that Lori and husband’s plea deal would include at least two years minimum jail time. My rule of thumb for celebrities is no more or no less of what the average Joe would get.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

When I saw Lori L. signing autographs, I lost all respect for her.   We all makes mistakes, and when we admit guilt and ask for forgiveness--we forgive.

At least Felicity is humble.  

Respected Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

As I've been reading posts from here throughout all this it seems to me that people are so bloodthirsty here. They want jail time. "Locl 'em up". Abhor these people. 

I have a different and I'm sure unpopular opinion about this.

First off if what  they did unethical? yes. Is it illegal? A crime against the state, jail time? Why would anyone want them in a jail that can;t even hold criminals now who commit felonies that hurt society or are violent in some way. 

So they have money and used it. I these 2 were just some ordinary people living in your neighborhood and got their kids into college by using special favors or pretending thei kid was an athlete would you care? Would it make the news? I doubt it. this seems to be more about the fact that they are rich celebrities and did this and by using money and power it rankles people. Well, you know what? People use money and power to get themselves and family members jobs too. How many know of someone or yourself who applied for a job, was totally qualified and experienced and the job went to someone whose parent is a friend of one of the Board of directors and so got a special favor? It happens all the time. 

I read a story a couple days ago about a woman from Texas who sold her chidren for money to pay her drug debts and buy more drugs. The judge gave her 6 years in prison, she'll probably gt out in 3 and get those same kids back. that, to me, is a real crime and certainly not enough jail time for selling a child. Do these actresses deserve jail time for what they did? Can it even compare? and don't get me started about the kid from Empire, How come there is no outrage about him using money and privilege to buy his way out of a real crime that could have had devastating effects.

I guess its just me but I take things in perspective, Compared to the real crime being committed, I think there is far too much press given to them. Pay a fine, make a donation and then go home and live life quietly. Lori will probably never work in television again and Felicity will be quiet for awhile, the  show up in a movie somewhere and no one will care. 

Yes, it's illegal, and, yes, I'd care if Joe Blow next door did it.

How is this not a real crime?

I think many are going soft on them because of their status and looks. Their money and privilege actually gives them much less reason to be criminals, so they should be judged more harshly. I feel more sympathy for someone who grew up in tough circumstances without money because I can more understand their desperation.

You don't think white collar crime affects you as much as violent crime? What they did was no different than someone coming into your house and stealing from you. They are taking spots away from more deserving people, thereby affecting their liveliehoods. All these scammers slept perfectly well at night knowing they stole a spot they didn't deserve but thought they were entitiled to because of their money. Think about how sickening that mentality is.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

With those new  reports about Lori and Mossimo, Felicity would probably only do 2-4 months, max.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JJsMom wrote:

@PinkSunset wrote:

As I've been reading posts from here throughout all this it seems to me that people are so bloodthirsty here. They want jail time. "Locl 'em up". Abhor these people. 

I have a different and I'm sure unpopular opinion about this.

First off if what  they did unethical? yes. Is it illegal? A crime against the state, jail time? Why would anyone want them in a jail that can;t even hold criminals now who commit felonies that hurt society or are violent in some way. 

So they have money and used it. I these 2 were just some ordinary people living in your neighborhood and got their kids into college by using special favors or pretending thei kid was an athlete would you care? Would it make the news? I doubt it. this seems to be more about the fact that they are rich celebrities and did this and by using money and power it rankles people. Well, you know what? People use money and power to get themselves and family members jobs too. How many know of someone or yourself who applied for a job, was totally qualified and experienced and the job went to someone whose parent is a friend of one of the Board of directors and so got a special favor? It happens all the time. 

I read a story a couple days ago about a woman from Texas who sold her chidren for money to pay her drug debts and buy more drugs. The judge gave her 6 years in prison, she'll probably gt out in 3 and get those same kids back. that, to me, is a real crime and certainly not enough jail time for selling a child. Do these actresses deserve jail time for what they did? Can it even compare? and don't get me started about the kid from Empire, How come there is no outrage about him using money and privilege to buy his way out of a real crime that could have had devastating effects.

I guess its just me but I take things in perspective, Compared to the real crime being committed, I think there is far too much press given to them. Pay a fine, make a donation and then go home and live life quietly. Lori will probably never work in television again and Felicity will be quiet for awhile, the  show up in a movie somewhere and no one will care. 

Yes, it's illegal, and, yes, I'd care if Joe Blow next door did it.

How is this not a real crime?

I think many are going soft on them because of their status and looks. Their money and privilege actually gives them much less reason to be criminals, so they should be judged more harshly. I feel more sympathy for someone who grew up in tough circumstances without money because I can more understand their desperation.

You don't think white collar crime affects you as much as violent crime? What they did was no different than someone coming into your house and stealing from you. They are taking spots away from more deserving people, thereby affecting their liveliehoods. All these scammers slept perfectly well at night knowing they stole a spot they didn't deserve but thought they were entitiled to because of their money. Think about how sickening that mentality is.

@JJsMom 

This case is not about school cheating.

It’s about Tax Evasion.

Esteemed Contributor

Did Felicity's daughter really not know?  

Based solely upon the testing scenario, it's possible,  The proctor altered her test after she completed it and left the room.  Her SAT score improved 400 points over her PSAT score, she could have attributed that to studying, coaching, tutoring, just testing  better.

However, she was approved for the "extra time" treatment, which meant that she had to be certified as having some sort of learning disability.  I'm not sure if she really does or not.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager   You got me to thinking.  Since Felicity knew the proctor was going to change the answers to the correct one for her daughter, I would think no extra time was needed.  So maybe her daughter does have a learning disability and would ordinarily request extra time and this way her daughter would not know.  Just a thought.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The case is not about tax evasion.  The case is primarily about Honest Services Mail Fraud and Mail Fraud under the Federal Statute Title 18, United States Code, Section 1349..  It involves using a scheme, artifice and device to deprive someone else of an intangible honest service.

In this case, the parents stole the opportunity for admission from otherwise qualified students.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The case is not about tax evasion.  The case is primarily about Honest Services Mail Fraud and Mail Fraud under the Federal Statute Title 18, United States Code, Section 1349..  It involves using a scheme, artifice and device to deprive someone else of an intangible honest service.

In this case, the parents stole the opportunity for admission from otherwise qualified students.

@Johnnyeager   They did defraud the IRS.  Their payments were made to a phony charity and deducted as such on their tax returns.  Singer set up the Key Worldwide Foundation as a non-profit charity-which was used to launder that money.

Those who paid to that "Foundation" and then deducted the $$ as a charitable donation will owe taxes and penalties.

Since they knew that the "Foundation" was set up to hide the scam, they are also guilty of tax evasion since that portion of their income was never really used as a donation.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh