Valued Contributor

Re: Felicity Huffman pleads guilty

As I've been reading posts from here throughout all this it seems to me that people are so bloodthirsty here. They want jail time. "Locl 'em up". Abhor these people. 

I have a different and I'm sure unpopular opinion about this.

First off if what  they did unethical? yes. Is it illegal? A crime against the state, jail time? Why would anyone want them in a jail that can;t even hold criminals now who commit felonies that hurt society or are violent in some way. 

So they have money and used it. I these 2 were just some ordinary people living in your neighborhood and got their kids into college by using special favors or pretending thei kid was an athlete would you care? Would it make the news? I doubt it. this seems to be more about the fact that they are rich celebrities and did this and by using money and power it rankles people. Well, you know what? People use money and power to get themselves and family members jobs too. How many know of someone or yourself who applied for a job, was totally qualified and experienced and the job went to someone whose parent is a friend of one of the Board of directors and so got a special favor? It happens all the time. 

I read a story a couple days ago about a woman from Texas who sold her chidren for money to pay her drug debts and buy more drugs. The judge gave her 6 years in prison, she'll probably gt out in 3 and get those same kids back. that, to me, is a real crime and certainly not enough jail time for selling a child. Do these actresses deserve jail time for what they did? Can it even compare? and don't get me started about the kid from Empire, How come there is no outrage about him using money and privilege to buy his way out of a real crime that could have had devastating effects.

I guess its just me but I take things in perspective, Compared to the real crime being committed, I think there is far too much press given to them. Pay a fine, make a donation and then go home and live life quietly. Lori will probably never work in television again and Felicity will be quiet for awhile, the  show up in a movie somewhere and no one will care. 

Trusted Contributor

will never serve a day in jail.   it is so easy to do what you want and then say "i'm sorry" when caught.  it is harder to choose to "do the right thing"

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Department of Justice has released all of the plea agreements thus far, including Felicity's.  

Under Sentencing Guidelines, her offense level is a "9" and the U.S. Attorney has recommended incarceration at the low end of the Guidelines, which could be a maximum of 20 years.  The offense is a "7" which has been adjusted upward by 4 based upon the $15,000 involved, and dropped by 2 "because Defendant has accepted responsibility for her crime"

I believe that she will do a short stint in jail.

Other prosecution recommendations are a fine of $20,000, 12 months of supervision upon release, a mandatory assessment of $100 paid to the Clerk of the Court on sentencing date, restitution to be determined by the Court and forfeiture of property seized by the government during the investigation.

Honored Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

As I've been reading posts from here throughout all this it seems to me that people are so bloodthirsty here. They want jail time. "Locl 'em up". Abhor these people. 

I have a different and I'm sure unpopular opinion about this.

First off if what  they did unethical? yes. Is it illegal? A crime against the state, jail time? Why would anyone want them in a jail that can;t even hold criminals now who commit felonies that hurt society or are violent in some way. 

So they have money and used it. I these 2 were just some ordinary people living in your neighborhood and got their kids into college by using special favors or pretending thei kid was an athlete would you care? Would it make the news? I doubt it. this seems to be more about the fact that they are rich celebrities and did this and by using money and power it rankles people. Well, you know what? People use money and power to get themselves and family members jobs too. How many know of someone or yourself who applied for a job, was totally qualified and experienced and the job went to someone whose parent is a friend of one of the Board of directors and so got a special favor? It happens all the time. 

I read a story a couple days ago about a woman from Texas who sold her chidren for money to pay her drug debts and buy more drugs. The judge gave her 6 years in prison, she'll probably gt out in 3 and get those same kids back. that, to me, is a real crime and certainly not enough jail time for selling a child. Do these actresses deserve jail time for what they did? Can it even compare? and don't get me started about the kid from Empire, How come there is no outrage about him using money and privilege to buy his way out of a real crime that could have had devastating effects.

I guess its just me but I take things in perspective, Compared to the real crime being committed, I think there is far too much press given to them. Pay a fine, make a donation and then go home and live life quietly. Lori will probably never work in television again and Felicity will be quiet for awhile, the  show up in a movie somewhere and no one will care. 

@PinkSunset 

I agree to a point but it’s bigger than the state level.

The college admissions was just a portal for more nefarious things.

Cheating on college admission could be broadly labeled unethical.

Cheating on Taxes is definitely illegal....especially at that $$$ level.

The FBI & IRS couldn’t give a rat’s behind if little Sally

cheated on her SATs.

The crime is tax fraud....and Uncle Sam doesn’t like that. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just as a point of fact and information:  All of the parental crimes are "Conspiracy to commit mail fraud" and "Honest services mail fraud".  Whether you like them or not, these are indeed federal crimes.

Two parents have had money laundering charges added.

No parent has been charged as yet with tax evasion or tax fraud, pending, I'm sure, complete IRS audits.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Just as a point of fact and information:  All of the parental crimes are "Conspiracy to commit mail fraud" and "Honest services mail fraud".  Whether you like them or not, these are indeed federal crimes.

Two parents have had money laundering charges added.

No parent has been charged as yet with tax evasion or tax fraud, pending, I'm sure, complete IRS audits.

@Johnnyeager   This is an important point.  While the charges have not been filed, it has been submitted that phony charitable deductions were taken on tax returns.

But you are correct-only the IRS can determine if fraud was committed and only the IRS can recover tax returns and make any determination one way or another.

I don't like the idea that some approve of allowing anybody outside the IRS demanding to see a person's tax filings without just cause.

We have systems in place that have to be applied equally, fairly, and with justification for everyone, like it or not.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I would be curious to know why husband Wm. Macy was not charged?

Regular Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

I would be curious to know why husband Wm. Macy was not charged?

He wasn't on the recording when the $15k payment for the first daughter was discussed. Only Felicity Huffman was on that recording, so they have no proof that he was involved. He was heard on the recording discussing doing the same thing for the second daughter, but since they decided not to go through with it, no crime was committed. 

Trusted Contributor

This is a felony.

There is no one that is out for blood.

The special treatment stopped when this situation came to light.

She can say her daughter knew nothing but we all know that's not true.  Her kid may be dumb as a stump but she had to have known what went into getting into college and the kid did none of it!

Did that not raise a red flag for the little dear?

Stop trying to underplay this.  

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

She really didn't have a choice, she got caught. Let's face it, if she wouldn't have gotten caught it no doubt never would have bothered her that she commited a crime.

That's probably true, but what other option is there? At least she's admitting to it and seems to be distraught, unlike Lori who seems to be treating this like a red carpet event.

Lori and her husband paid way more than Felicity too. They should be even more nervous and humbled.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu