Esteemed Contributor

Re: Feed the birds

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

@happycat wrote:

Well, I have an update, I noticed my first bluebird this morning. I think they like mealworms and I don't have any...will pick some up when I go to town.

@goldensrbest , maybe the wild turkeys will move on, I hope.

@happycat   I used to feed live mealworms, but the bluebirds never found them.  The Carolina Wrens used to eat them, and I love watching them, too.  I did have a nesting box that the bluebirds used.  I hope the bluebirds find your mealworms.

A few months ago I bought a cylinder feeder to feed cylinder seed.  I bought the woodpecker blend from Wild Birds Unlimted.  To my surprise the bluebirds eat it all the time.  I'll have as many as six bluebirds at a time.  I think it's the suet and fruit that they like.

@NickNack, I've only tried feeding the bluebirds dried mealworms last wear. I think I will look for a fruid blend of some kind to give them after reading your post. I wish I had some dried cranberries to cut up and throw out. I wonder if they eat cut up apples?

I usually just have black sunflower seeds and dried corn and apples for the deer. I think I will wait till tomorrow to go to town, and hope for a warmer day, it is just cold and nasty here today.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@happycat wrote:

Well, I have an update, I noticed my first bluebird this morning. I think they like mealworms and I don't have any...will pick some up when I go to town.

@happycat   I used to feed live mealworms, but the bluebirds never found them.  The Carolina Wrens used to eat them, and I love watching them, too.  I did have a nesting box that the bluebirds used.  I hope the bluebirds find your mealworms.

A few months ago I bought a cylinder feeder to feed cylinder seed.  I bought the woodpecker blend from Wild Birds Unlimted.  To my surprise the bluebirds eat it all the time.  I'll have as many as six bluebirds at a time.  I think it's the suet and fruit that they like.

@NickNack, I've only tried feeding the bluebirds dried mealworms last wear. I think I will look for a fruid blend of some kind to give them after reading your post. I wish I had some dried cranberries to cut up and throw out. I wonder if they eat cut up apples?

I usually just have black sunflower seeds and dried corn and apples for the deer. I think I will wait till tomorrow to go to town, and hope for a warmer day, it is just cold and nasty here today.

@happycat   If you can find something with suet in it they will enjoy that, too.  Here's what I found from Bird Watchers Digest:

Bluebirds will eat the following offerings at feeders: Mealworms, suet dough, fruit, and sunflower bits. They will also consume eggshell bits during spring and summer when the females especially need extra calcium for egg production.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@happycat   I read your post after you'd edited it, too.  I don't know about apple.  I'm not sure they would like that, but I really have no idea.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

West Michigan here. I just restocked our bird restaurant this morning. Refilled the finch feeder, changed out a new suet cake (and attracted Woody Woodpecker), refilled a neglected platform feeder outside the fence line, and refilled the regular platform feeder. Cardinals all over toda, as well as finches.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@happycat   If you can find something with suet in it they will enjoy that, too.  Here's what I found from Bird Watchers Digest:

Bluebirds will eat the following offerings at feeders: Mealworms, suet dough, fruit, and sunflower bits. They will also consume eggshell bits during spring and summer when the females especially need extra calcium for egg production.

Thank you for sharing that info,  @NickNack .

Esteemed Contributor

sorry I just saw your post. I should have referred to other people who have had rat problems.

I haven't seen any rats and have a guard on the feeder but there are other critters that occasionally come and then I add  pepper.

Super Contributor

@PodyPo wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@PodyPo

I buy a "Hot Pepper" suet at Meijer.  It's a Meijer brand.  I think there are other brands of hot pepper suet.

Have you ever used a Sky Cafe feeder?  I had tried several kinds of "squirrel proof" (hahahahahahaha) feeders and the only one that actually has worked has been the Sky Cafe.

P.S.  Funny story (and ingenious!) about the duct tape rescue.

Thanks @QueenDanceALot I will look for the suet. Never tried Sky Cafe, and the other type mentioned earlier, Brome Squirrel Buster and will investigate. But I no longer believe in Santa or squirrel proof bird feeders.

Update: I got some red pepper suet, the squirrels loved it, and since I had the suet basket wired shut, they chewed through the twisty ties I had holding it to the shepherd’s hook and TOOK THE WHOLE DAGGONE THING AWAy! I can’t find it anywhere. Off to order a sky Cafe. What I do for my cat’s entertainment.....!

Honored Contributor
Birds will keep coming back looking for the feeders so try and keep the feeders full year-round. They have been everywhere this week because of a strong cold front and another coming through tomorrow afternoon. Birds know when the weather will change and have a feeding frenzy beforehand. Smart creatures. I enjoy watching them at my feeders when the idiot squirrels let them.
Honored Contributor
Thanks I will check it out!