Esteemed Contributor

Federal Prosecutors Target Students

Federal prosecutors in the "Operation Varsity Blues" case have sent "target letters" to some students and graduates  who were at least 18 at the time and may have been aware of the scheme.

Target letters tell the recipient that they are subject to an investigation.

It's likely that these are being used as a tool to pressure reluctant parents to enter into a plea agreement.  No word yet on exactly which students have been "targeted".

Honored Contributor

Re: Federal Prosecutors Target Students

It gives me an uneasy feeling that they're targeting the kids to get to the parents. 

Honored Contributor

Good! At age 18, in most states, you are considered an adult. This does not only involve parents and I would be hard pressed to believe the "adult student" was/is not aware of what got them into a specific college. 

My interests and concern is for the "students" that got left out because of some illegal shenanigans perpetrated  by some overzealous parent(s). I do not and have never bought into this 18+ years olds being considered children. Parents will always see them as "their child/children, whatever", I do not. If the state in which they live consider them adults. They should be held legally responsible for their actions.

My kids, by choice? All have 4 legs and fur, but in WWII many Fighter Pilots and Infantry Men, were 19 years old. So what's  changed and why.?

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Good!! At 18 you’re a legal adult.You can vote, you can go to war & you can get married.You’re old enough to know better.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Although some disagree, I'm willing to view the students knowledge/involvement on a continuum. 

For example, Felicity contends that her daughter knew nothing; her test was altered by Mark Riddell after she left the room (according to the prosecutors' affidavit).  Her test score improved modestly, but not markedly over her PSAT.

Most students who posed as athletes were obviously complicit.  And the affidavit states that Isabelle Henriquez sat with her phony "proctor" and actively cheated with him on the SAT, "gloating" about their deed later.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not excusing the kids at all.  I think if they were involved, they should receive some punishment as well.

I'm pretty sure most of these kids had no idea of the legal ramifications that this entails...

Esteemed Contributor

I think there is lots more to this.  Knowingly letting someone take a test for you  or changing answers is totally immoral, criminal, etc.  And these people should have consequences, parents or legal age children (who knew about it).  BUT where  does it stop?  How about donating a building or sports complex or ..... All kinds of preferences that have nothing to do with getting in on MERIT.  And if my father went to Harvard, does that mean I do to?  No limit and where is the line?  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Currently, legacy admissions are not illegal.  We all know that schools, particularly the Ivy League, use this as a preference.  However, Congress could pass a law making that practice illegal, if that's what the public really wants.  I've always been aware that getting admitted into some colleges was not based 100% on merit.  It's a flawed system, but not criminal.

Respected Contributor

If the many kids knew what the parents were doing, they would at least be witnesses to the crimes. What good prosecutor would go to trial without squeezing the witnesses he was aware of. So they definitely will be brought in to see what they knew and some will probably be charged too.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369  Ignorance of the law is no excuse or a valid defence.