Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fed Up With Scam Robocalls and Telemarketers!

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

What am I missing here?   I don't understand all of the hullabaloo about these calls.   The solution is not complicated.  Don't answer the phone if you don't recognize the number.   If it is someone you know, they will leave a message.  If it isn't, they won't and you haven't had to deal with them. 

Easy peasy.   Problem solved.   just because your phone rings, you don't have to answer it.  They don't bother me at all because i don't answer the phone.

The unknown calls are incessant @Bridgegal.  They are bothersome.   I don't answer calls I don't know but that doesn't make it any less troublesome.  It's a pain......truly it is.

@itiswhatitis

We actually agree on something

As long as you're not rude @Spurt we'll get along fine.  You'll get back what you give.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@ID2, I have a cell phone only.  Dropped my land line about five years ago.  I get those robo calls on my cell phone.  I do give out the number; cable company, utilities; doctor and so on.  Other than that no one else to give it to.  I still get those stupid calls.  My phone can reject numbers all I have to do is add it to my reject list.  As we speak there are about thirty calls on that list.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I also get these unwanted calls on my cell phone.

I've had the same cell phone number since 1994 and, even over all those years, have probably given that number out only to a handful of people.  Plus I never used it for business/bills/etc, or anything like that - only to people I know.

For many years I never got them on my cell phone.  But for only the last year or so they have started.  Clearly, it's a 'random dial' type thing but it's no less annoying.

I really wish the conditions that preclude laws from changing about this sort of thing (money going into certain pockets) didn't happen so that it could be a fair field.   I pay for my phone numbers and should be able to have a great deal of control over who uses them.  period.

Honored Contributor

I too am getting these nuisance calls on my cell but when I add the numbers to the auto reject list, it seems to be working.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@handygal2  I bought the Panasonic phone on HSN with CALL BLOCK. It has made a huge difference in calls on my land line....worth every dollar and a great phone to boot!

@SeaMaiden: I wanted to follow up, and let you know that l ordered this phone system that you recommended, and connected it two days ago. Since then, l've blocked four calls. I'm really enjoying doing this-- it's as if l finally have some control over these pests and scammers! THANK YOU!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daysdee wrote:

I have been on DNC for years and resubmitted again.  I still get several calls every day.  My landline provider just sent a notice of how to block the calls now with no additional special equipment.  I've been doing it the last week or so  I do hope it stops all those unwanted calls.

Hi @Daysdee,

I would give it a chance to work.

I have been blocking calls through our phone provider, and I personally think that it has been working better than anything else for us. Our phone has been very quiet since I have been doing this.

I was using Nomorobo and it was working well until it recently started to let a particular scammer come through with all of its corresponding numbers attached to it.

What I mean by this is that you would block one phone number, and then it would just call again with a different number that was similar to the first one, and so on. 

No matter how many times I would report the numbers, the phone calls didn't stop, and reporting them didn't seem to help, for whatever reason. I would give the reporting time a chance to work, too. I didn't expect anything to change overnight, or in a hurry, etc. 

When the calls were still coming through, that is when I checked with our phone provider and they were now offering call blocking when they didn't offer it before in our area, so I started using it and it has made a huge difference for us. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a Panasonic phone that blocks around 100 calls.  It helps tremendously.  When a blocked telemarketer calls the phone lights up but doesn't ring.  I see it light up all the time, so it's definitely working.  The Do Not Call Registry did not help me at all.  The calls kept coming.

I have call blocking on my cell phone, too.  I've quit giving out my cell phone #'s to companies as much as possible since I've been getting so many telemarketing calls on it, too.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau