Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite Halloween Candy?

@cherry wrote:

@Cakers3  never been a fan of candy corn after seeing your posts, I am glad!!!!!!!!

@cherry   I never liked it either.  I think Gordon Ramsey has it right.

He also thinks Smarties are made of TUMS and aspirin.  LOL

(A wee off topic but the rose hand cream at TJ's seems to be seasonal.  Right now it's ginger scented hand cream-same tube style)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

It is quite nice stuff @Cakers3

Esteemed Contributor

Another candy corn girl here.  M & M's are listed for my state.  I'll take those too, but I usually prefer non-chocolate candy like smarties, sweet tarts, skittles, lemonheads, nerds, taffy, etc.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My state has M & Ms depicted as the Halloween favorite. I don’t see this candy being given out or eaten any more than other favorites. This is just my own casual observation.

Consider the source of this map. It is made to depupict the results of a survey from a company that has nothing to do with research, candy, marketing, food, Halloween, a Social Science, consumer research. Bid on Equipment sells used machinery. 

Valued Contributor

My state says M&Ms. But I love Reeses! Only indulge occasionally, though. I love candy corn only when mixed with roasted peanuts....tastes like a Payday bar! 😋 My very favorite is 86% to 92% cacao bars...intense dark...by Ghirardelli. They come in 8 squares per bar and I eat 2 squares per day! 🍫

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

I'm in Ohio, but I'm not even sure what a Mars Bar is.  Is that a Snickers or a Milky Way?  Anyway, I would have gladly eaten those when I was a kid, but now I'd go for solid chocolate (Hershey bar), M&M's, or Reese's because I can never turn down my two favs together.....peanut butter and chocolate!

Mars is supposed to be PA's favorite...I've never seen or heard of one.  Here's a pic.

947CC431-7642-4C50-8620-4A6473AC4E90.jpeg

The Mars Bar is the British equivalent of the Milky Way, so I'm surprised they even listed it for a U.S. state.

They may also be available from Canada.  Having lived in England for 20 years, I prefer the Mars Bar to the Milky Way.  There's a slight difference because of the chocolate used.

Maybe PA has a lot of ex-pats?

I don't think they're equivalent. Doesn't a Mars bar have nuts in it (maybe almonds)? The original Milky Way is just milk chocolate, caramel, and nougat -- my favorite type of actual candy "bar."

@jonbon- No, the Mars Bar does not have nuts in it.  It originated in England, made by the son of the American man who created the Milky Way ten years earlier.

You're thinking of the American version which became the Snickers Almond (after being taken off the market for a while).

The Mars Bar was my favorite candy bar.  When I returned home in 2001, I tried the Milky Way, but it just isn't the same for me, so I buy Mars Bars from import companies!

Here's a link to info on Wikipedia, if you're interested:

Mars Bars

Esteemed Contributor

I am in PA and the only candy I eat (period) is Reeses, Hershey kisses, and gum. lol. (I cant quite see the map well but i can tell you that Reeses were always a hit with my kids and our trick or treaters (although we buy a variety of candy for our many trick or treaters)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Had to laugh reading through some of these posts - I've just been sitting here eating...candy corn!

And my friend from England, who was just here for a three-week visit, went home with so much they inspected her carry-on case!

So there are people who like it.  I only ever eat it at this time of year and one bag is enough.  I was glad to see they're offering bags of the individual items (just pumpkins, just brown candy corn, etc.).

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who really likes candy corn!    I do only buy the Brach's brand, though.   To open a bag and smell fresh candy corn, is quite lovely.  

It reminds me of the wonderful, fresh, fragrant, powdery smell of marshmallows.  Probably both made out of the same junky stuff, but I love both of them.

My husband just brought me two very smal bags of Brach's candy corn one day this week.   I told him that I just, a week or two ago, finished the candy corn I had from 2 or 3 years ago.  Put it in Lock & Lock and it stays fresh.  Smiley Happy  I allow myself, every now and then, to eat as much as fits in a very small ramekin.