Valued Contributor

Re: Favorite Childhood Foods

Spaghettios

Chef Boy R De Ravioli

Funny Bones

Devil Dogs (Still my favorite and a struggle to pass them by in a store)

Swiss Rolls (when they used to be big and had a LOT of cream in them)

Respected Contributor

Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich - Texas style

2 sl. white bread

on a saucer, combine a heaping T of peanut butter, 1 tsp of butter, heaping tsp of jelly, and 1 tsp of honey

mix together on the saucer til creamy and smooth

spread on each slice of bread and eat open face

with a cold glass of milk

No, I do not remember Funny Bones ever being filled with REAL peanut butter.  Sounds delicious.  I always remember the pb cream with the dark chocolate cake and coated in the dark chocolate.  Scrumptious!!!

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Valued Contributor

@Jordan2  As a chubby girl for a good part of my childhood, i like this question!  However i did switch to carrot sticks in my teens!

- cream cheese & jelly sandwiches

(in my lunchbag to take to school)

- green (spinach) pasta (Buitoni Popeye?)

(lunch at home on the weekend)

- Dugan Man (home delivered in his big truck in the driveway - used to come into the kitchen with his big metal tray on a handle filled with baked goods & Mom would pick something out) **frosted cupcakes (i remember the frosting being so hard, you could tap a spoon on it and it wouldn't budge, but oh boy i loved those!)  P.S. Thank you, Mom, for indulging us with all our favourites!

image.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Esteemed Contributor

Mine was lemon meringue pie. My mom would bake one whenever I needed a pick-me-up, or If I fell down and hurt myself on the playground, my first heartache, etc. Somehow it always made me feel better.😊

I also loved Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Orange Crush soda, Froot Loops, and and my Mom's tuna casserole. Yum! 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

Chili when my mom could afford to make it.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SuesCat wrote:

@Jordan2  As a chubby girl for a good part of my childhood, i like this question!  However i did switch to carrot sticks in my teens!

- cream cheese & jelly sandwiches

(in my lunchbag to take to school)

- green (spinach) pasta (Buitoni Popeye?)

(lunch at home on the weekend)

- Dugan Man (home delivered in his big truck in the driveway - used to come into the kitchen with his big metal tray on a handle filled with baked goods & Mom would pick something out) **frosted cupcakes (i remember the frosting being so hard, you could tap a spoon on it and it wouldn't budge, but oh boy i loved those!)  P.S. Thank you, Mom, for indulging us with all our favourites!

image.png

@SuesCat my siblings remember the Dugan Man, I think I was very young as I don't remember him. We lived in a project, eight floors, we lived on the fourth. By the time he got to our floor ( he started on the eighth) he would sell out of the best cakes. My mother would go up several flights to buy cake when she knew he was there. No one remembers this next product, I swear it was real. I would eat Butoni Instant Pizza. It was frozen, sort of like an enclosed English Muffin with sauce and cheese inside. Now back in the day there were no toaster ovens so you put it  in the toaster. The middle was always cold, but I liked it antway!

Honored Contributor

Oh I forgot!  To add to my list:

Graham Crackers dipped in Whole milk!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Honored Contributor

Not individual foods, but rather meals. I now make them myself.

Sauerbraten
Macaroni and cheese casserole
Poached fish
Corn beef hash
Eggs and potato pancakes
French toast

My parents didn’t keep snack foods around.
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   Funny Bones, YUM! Haven't had these in YEARS! Do they still sell these somewhere?

Honored Contributor

Tastykakes and fluffernutters.  Memories!!!  I still drool over them in the market though.  Smiley Tongue