Honored Contributor

Farmers Almanac winter predictions

[ Edited ]

FARMERS’ ALMANAC WINTER OUTLOOK AT A GLANCE:

• Colder-than-normal conditions are predicted from the Continental Divide east through the Appalachians.
  • Above-normal snowfall predicted for Great Lakes, Midwest, New England, Pacific Northwest
  • Frigid weather is expected in mid-February, which may also bring blustery and bitter winds, widespread snow showers, especially in zones 1, 2, and 3.
  • Winter will hang on with stormy conditions up through the official start of spring, especially for the East Coast.

The Almanac also forecasts an unusually snowy and/or wet winter across the Pacific Northwest, Northeast, and Mid-Atlantic States; in these regions, the thermometer will be hovering just above or just below the freezing mark, which means some of the precipitation may fall as either ice or rain/freezing rain.

Mild winter? Nah. It’s going to be cold, so be prepared!

Above-normal precipitation is also forecast for the Southwest region during December 2018, and for the Southeast in January and February 2019. The rest of the nation will see closer to normal snowfall amounts, although, as the 2019 Farmers’ Almanac suggests, a stormier-than-normal March could push snowfall totals to above normal over the northern and central Rockies and Plains. Good news for skiers and boarders!

Significant snowfalls are also predicted for parts of all 7 of our zones .

A LATE START TO SPRING?

Mid-March could be stormy virtually coast to coast, bringing snow, sleet, and/or rain as well as strong and gusty winds to many areas. In particular, we are red-flagging March 20–23 for a potent East Coast storm that could deliver a wide variety of wintry precipitation just as we are making the transition from winter to spring. So, no matter what the groundhog says in February, you’ll know winter isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

(Sounds like last spring, doesn’t it? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Farmers Almanac winter predictions

Omg is this the new normal?

Honored Contributor

I hope the snow stays in the mountains in the PNW🙁

Esteemed Contributor

F Almanac is always right - every winter snow - sleet - freezing rain - and cold for SIX months.  You can always count on their predictions being correct!

Respected Contributor

Right now its hot and humid but I still prefer this to cold and icy..

Respected Contributor

Bring on the rain for California, we need it. But no mud slides for areas that burned.

Honored Contributor

My next door neighbor is a 20 year old guy who helps me a lot.  He carries in my groceries and mows my lawn, etc.

He and I have had some wonderful conversations over the years.  I kinda mentor him....OK, so FINALLY my point.

I've always talked to him about my family being 'country people' and all about the Farmer's Almanac.

I'd totally forgotten but he reminded me that I'd given him one around Christmas.  He said it seems to be right quite often.  He said he looks at it all of the time.

He'd never heard of it.  His family is from El Salvador.  He was born here.  He couldn't speak or understand Spanish but I talked him into taking it in high school.  He's happy he did.  But also .... my point...he was telling me that his family thought it was all stupid (the Almanac) but he started showing them that it made a lot of sense.

He said now they'll ask him 'what does that book say'!  Ha!

Esteemed Contributor

Oh no. Just no. Felt like we missed summer. Want a replay of a long, hot summer to make up for the long, crazy winter and very late (or non-existant) spring of 2018!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I remember the Farmer’s Almanac calendar hanging in my aunt and uncle’s house out in the country. They usually had a drug store calendar hanging somewhere too.

Honored Contributor