Respected Contributor

Facebrook Creeps

[ Edited ]

I am so glad one of my job requirements does not include having a Facebook page.  Sooo creepy.  I was on one of the hosts FB page and there was a guy asking the hosts a bunch of questions.  I automatically thought it was a woman and as I looked at the name it was a man.  I clicked on his photo which brought me to his FB page.  YIKES!!!!  Talk about creepy. Gave me the chills.

Honored Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

I am so glad one of my job requirements does not include having a Facebook page.  Sooo creepy.  I was on one of the hosts FB page and there was a guy asking the hosts a bunch of questions.  I automatically thought it was a woman and as I looked at the name it was a man.  I clicked on his photo which brought me to his FB page.  YIKES!!!!  Talk about creepy. Gave me the chills.

His face, his posts or both were creepy?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I recently dipped my toe into social media, and I have learned one thing, NEVER click on comments. There are some sick twisted individuals out there. I also made the mistake of engaging  someone who I thought made a really stupid  political statement( I didn't say stupid in the comment. ) it did not end well. Lesson learned.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

His face, his posts or both were creepy?

Mostly what was on his FB page.

Esteemed Contributor

There are trolls who steal photos of other posters.  They'll post something nasty toward a particular group all the while using a name from that same group and the photo of someone else. You're then left thinking why would this poster post something so horrible about one of their own?

You just might be replying to what you believe is a woman but is actuality a man.

I read somewhere awhile ago that there are professional trolls who get rewarded for how many 'clicks' they receive in response to their baiting posts.

Don't believe what you "see" on facebook.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

Also, NEVER, EVER "click on" those movie posts!

Honored Contributor

I will occasionally make a comment on an "in the news" hot topic, usually those posted by a TV news page. But I have to *really* want to express whatever it is because the (mostly misogynistic) comments can get very rough so I don't do it often. When they get really repulsive you can click "notifications" off for that post or comment. I've done that a time or two.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I will occasionally make a comment on an "in the news" hot topic, usually those posted by a TV news page. But I have to *really* want to express whatever it is because the (mostly misogynistic) comments can get very rough so I don't do it often. When they get really repulsive you can click "notifications" off for that post or comment. I've done that a time or two.

Along with that @Moonchilde, I've had to "block" a few people too.  

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Along with that @Moonchilde, I've had to "block" a few people too.  

I've had to block some very weird posters on an Amazon forum who were trying to "sneak" into peoples' FB pages via "Friends of Friends" lists. They wanted peoples' real names for nefarious purposes. I've only blocked a couple of ex-friends 😜

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde, last week I posted on a news thread and someone who didn't agree with my post offered me a truck load of um..err, male body parts.  Yep, he was blocked.

I don't understand the vitriol aimed at sports stars and celebs.  It can get crazy>  Yep, all blocked.

One day, my sister had to report someone or posting back to her using a photo of her children!!!!!  We've had a few family members asking to be "friends" but they're trolls - we've had to post that if anyone (in my name) asks to friend you, deleted the request asap.

I try to have my account locked up tight as a drum.