Honored Contributor

Re: Facebook changes and new format

@SharkE wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

It is a waste of time to comlain about it because it changes nothing except makes you unhappy.  With technology and especially the internet change is a matter of fact.

I have worked with and in it since 1983.  There is always a new operating system, always a new design, always will have new features.  You can't stop either because you will be so far behind you will never catch up.

My advice from a long career, lots of crying and adjusting is: Learn some "dirty" words that are acceptable to you and carry on, looking for any things you like and enjoy.  Go forward with hope and courage.

It ain't gonna change except that and accept that CHANGE is always just around the corner.

Didn't say I like it, just saying that's what is going to happen.  One way or the other. 

I'm waiting for the QVC forums to change again should be about that time like going into the grocery and they have redid the whole store

LOL

@SharkE great minds!  I was thinking about that today!  People have fits when the forums change for about 3 weeks then it's all over.  

And yes about the grocery store and they always move anything you really want to the back of the store.

Honored Contributor

i dont use facebook on my phone. i prefer to use my laptop or tablet. so far, no switch yet, but i am sure it is coming soon.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Defriend yourself from facebook, I did years ago.  Best thing i ever did.  Lets hope out of disfaction a new company will arise.  Onethat is less ruthless, andnot so supportive of subversive activity.  Just my opinion.  Time for something new.

i just hate it when things change that i am happy with.  I am a little fussy about that myself.  The young kids take to mewer stuff  in a second, but not me.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

According to news articles, and also their notice on Facebook itself, as others mentioned the change will be permanent sometime in September (I don't see an exact date).   

I've been switching to the new version (using the down arrow, upper right corner, where we can find the drop-down menu with settings, etc.), walking around in it for a while.

But then I return to the classic version (also using the same drop-down menu).   I'm not committed to it yet.🤔😉

It's very different.  For that reason, others might want to take a minute now and then to travel through it and get a sense of what's on the horizon.

Change doesn't bother me, guess I'm accustomed to it, sometimes I welcome it, but when it's inevitable I try to find a way to embrace it.   I think the detective in me, and all the IT troubleshooting experience, helps me look at it from a different perspective...  a challenge, a puzzle, to solve.😊

I don't particularly like the appearance of the new look, and I don't want to plunge into it completely until there's no choice.   I figure by dipping my toes into it now...   when a permanent change takes place and I'm fully immersed I'll be familiar enough with the look and the layout to feel comfortable.😊

@dooBdoo the main issue for me is that 3rd column on the right.  I don't want it.  I prefer to have what I'm reading spread out.  As I said earlier I'm already using apps to do that for me in Classic mode as well as to filter out the Sponsored Ads and political posts.  I expect the app that does all the filtering will eventually work with the new mode, but I fear the other apps that allow my feed to be spread out will not since I don't think the developers continue to work on them.  

Trusted Contributor

I just saw this thread.  I cannot get into FB using Chrome but I can using Microsoft Edge.  Does that make any sense?  TIA.

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Honored Contributor

@kutira wrote:

I just saw this thread.  I cannot get into FB using Chrome but I can using Microsoft Edge.  Does that make any sense?  TIA.

@kutira,  What happens when you try to sign into Facebook using Edge?  What do you see on the screen?

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@dooBdoo the main issue for me is that 3rd column on the right.  I don't want it.  I prefer to have what I'm reading spread out.  As I said earlier I'm already using apps to do that for me in Classic mode as well as to filter out the Sponsored Ads and political posts.  I expect the app that does all the filtering will eventually work with the new mode, but I fear the other apps that allow my feed to be spread out will not since I don't think the developers continue to work on them.  

That's not good, @Icegoddess.   I can see why you're not happy with the changes.   The other apps you mention...  in some cases the apps have a way for users to contact app developers and ask questions, but does it look like the developers have abandoned them (no updates for a long time, that sort of thing)?

Also, it appears that Facebook's software is set up to ask for feedback each time we switch from the new format to classic...  it asks why we changed back to classic, and you could submit details there.   

In addition, there are the "Report a Problem" (under "Help & Support") and "Give Feedback" features in the new format (under the right upper corner arrow drop-down menu).   The support from Facebook tech staff doesn't have a great track record, and sometimes it's simply dismal, but right now during this major redesign there's a chance they're paying attention to reports. 

I hope you find someone who will hear your concerns and respond to you.🌻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I changed my back to the old format.  In the upper right corner, I clicked on one of the icons and there was a link to change it back to the old.

Honored Contributor

Is there a way to see who is on facebbook when you are on in the new version? I mean the right column where you see peoples names and a little green light to show they are on

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

That's not good, @Icegoddess.   I can see why you're not happy with the changes.   The other apps you mention...  in some cases the apps have a way for users to contact app developers and ask questions, but does it look like the developers have abandoned them (no updates for a long time, that sort of thing)?

Also, it appears that Facebook's software is set up to ask for feedback each time we switch from the new format to classic...  it asks why we changed back to classic, and you could submit details there.   

In addition, there are the "Report a Problem" (under "Help & Support") and "Give Feedback" features in the new format (under the right upper corner arrow drop-down menu).   The support from Facebook tech staff doesn't have a great track record, and sometimes it's simply dismal, but right now during this major redesign there's a chance they're paying attention to reports. 

I hope you find someone who will hear your concerns and respond to you.🌻

@dooBdoo I did fill out that form, but I have no expectations.  They like to use that 3rd column to advertise.  $$$.  Looks like they're moving that box with your friends that are online back to the 3rd column instead of a pop-up at the bottom which to me was a lot more convenient because I just don't care if my friends are online or not.  They'll respond to my posts when/if they want to.  I don't "chat" with them.  My daughter is mostly the only one I "chat" with since I know it's the easiest way to get in touch with her and I can type rather than hunt and peck on the phone.