Honored Contributor

FUN OR UNEXPECTED FACTS ABOUT THE FOURTH OF JULY

This site has some interesting tidbits, some well-known, some not:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/502369/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-fourth-july

We might be aware that the Declaration of Independence was not signed on the Fourth of July, but who knew (apart from New Englanders) that New England established a tradition of eating salmon, with or without peas, on the Fourth? 

Or that fully 3 presidents died on the Fourth of July.  Eerie.  And one was born on that day.  Calvin Coolidge, in 1872.

The oldest celebration is held in Bristol, in beautiful Rhode Island.

And I'll add one tiny history nugget of my own.  Remember the only woman who signed the Declaration.  She was its publisher, Mary Katharine Goddard.

I love this stuff.  Hope all have a safe and happy Independence Day.

Respected Contributor

Re: FUN OR UNEXPECTED FACTS ABOUT THE FOURTH OF JULY

@Oznell  thanks for this!   

i mention again this year - as i have in years past - that i enjoy re-viewing the "John Adams" HBO miniseries with Laura Linney and Paul Giamatti.  it really plants you in the times - of the Declaration, of the Revolution, etc -   with all the struggles, personalities, and burning issues.  a heavy dose of perspective. 

it is available for "free"  to Amazon Prime members.

happy Fourth, America!

Esteemed Contributor

I love learning stuff like this. Thanks @Oznell  

Happy Fourth to all. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Respected Contributor

Sadly, many Americans don't know why we celebrate on July 4th.   Seriously. 

Valued Contributor

Fun post @Oznell  - I love history.

And thanks for mentioning the John Adams miniseries @ms traditional . I've never seen it but I have Amazon prime so I'll look it up.

Honored Contributor

I love the way you describe that miniseries, @ms traditional--  makes us realize that wasn't some dry-sawdust remote time, but a galvanizing period dramatically teeming with passion, foresight and courage.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

@Oznell   I have never heard of eating salmon (with or without peas) on the 4th of July.   I'm a NE native and find this tidbit really interesting.

I would imagine the salmon came from Maine.

Thank you for a fun read.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Not only that, @Cakers3,  I thought it was neat that they saw fit to tell us what it is believed that John and Abigail Adams dined on on the first Fourth of July--  turtle soup.

Given that so much of America was "coastal" back then, I guess it isn't so strange that seafood of various sorts would figure large in the scheme of things...  It'd be interesting to know when hot dogs started to dominate Independence Day menus.

Respected Contributor

Being a Rhode Islander I am familiar with the facts of the Fourth of July. We have celebrated the holiday since I was a child. When I married my husband it became even bigger. My mother in law was born on the Fourth of July. The Gaspee Parade went right br her house. We had front row seats and always had a cookout. Great memories.  Best MIL.

Honored Contributor

Front row seats to a parade like that, @Catiele, is my idea of a wonderful time!