Super Contributor

Re: FRESH PRODUCE

[ Edited ]

Fresh veggies & fruit only & always. Of course they get washed. Current evidence which continues to evolve states the virus can't be contacted thru food. It's a respiratory virus.

Washing fresh veggies & fruit is a must at all times.

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

confused.gif

You're suppose to wash fresh produce prior to puting them in the fridge anyway.  

Oh!  I didn't know, @Mz iMac .  I've been doing it bassakwards all my life!Woman LOL  I always thought if you washed first, they'd spoil faster.  Guess I had that one wrong!  Thank you.

@eddyandmeUh, oh!  I was always taught to wash them just before using too. My parents had a truck farm, and we didn't wash anything until ready to use, unless it was full of dirt.

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@eddyandme Washing citrus with soapy water and scrub brush. Triple washing kale, boccoli, cauliflower, etc. and then cooking. Using frozen berries. Stocked up on some frozen veggies, but only allowed 4 per shopping trip.

Your not supposed  to wash anything you put in your mouth with soap

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@eddyandme Washing citrus with soapy water and scrub brush. Triple washing kale, boccoli, cauliflower, etc. and then cooking. Using frozen berries. Stocked up on some frozen veggies, but only allowed 4 per shopping trip

@willomenia  wrote:

Your not supposed  to wash anything you put in your mouth with soap

@willomenia @PA Mom-mom @eddyandme ...You can use baking soda in water to wash fresh produce thoroughly.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The norm around here seems to be that fresh produce in abundance but frozen veggies and fruit are nowhere to be seen.

We prefer fresh (although we miss our big bags of frozen blueberries.) We wash our produce before we cook or eat it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

confused.gif

You're suppose to wash fresh produce prior to puting them in the fridge anyway.  

Oh!  I didn't know, @Mz iMac .  I've been doing it bassakwards all my life!Woman LOL  I always thought if you washed first, they'd spoil faster.  Guess I had that one wrong!  Thank you.

@eddyandme  that's what I heard also. Debbie Myers who sells the green bags/boxes on HSN is always emphatic about not washing produce until you're ready to eat. If you google "should you wash produce before storing" you will find many articles from many sources that say you should not.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Respected Contributor
I have always given my fresh produce a bath in vinegar solution when I bring it home from the market.
Honored Contributor

No. I wash it before I eat it. I have red grapes, strawberries plus I bought 10 lbs of organic apples. I like to eat them daily.

I have frozen fruit in the freezer for smoothies.

Valued Contributor

We buy both frozen and fresh.  Mostly fresh.  Washing before putting in fridge does cause it to spoil sooner.  Just wash WELL before eating (no soap).  You will be OK.