Honored Contributor

Re: FOUNTAIN PENS! Do you use, love or collect them?

I love fountain pens because they so remind me of my Father.  And THIS COLOR I choose to write in was his favorite color! 

Dad never used a ball point pen.  Every Sunday he sat at his desk and wrote, actually printed a letter to his parents who lived in OH, we were in NJ.  He had a beautiful pen, a chubbier one that was a light chestnut color.  I don't know what it was made of. It had one of those little levers on the barrel you pulled back to fill it.  I have no idea where he found this color ink but he always had it.

Honored Contributor

Gee, what a nice idea!  Any suggestions re: where to buy them at decent prices?   If and when I do find a fountain pen and various ink colors, I'll start my Christmas card writing early, all during next year.  'Little by little'...........Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Many office supply stores carry nice fountain pens.  There is a catalogue by a company that specializes in them called Levanger.  There are probably other companies out there, but I am familiar with Levanger and I have ordered from them before.

They have designer pens in the four digit category, but they also have far less costly pens.

Poodlepet2

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love them, use them and collect them.  My only problem is that after decades of using a medium nib, I've started to prefer the fine.  This will be expensive, but a store in Atlanta offers deep discounts on their finest pens.  Mont Blanc at 40% off makes my month.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

I had one at one point.  No idea where I got it.  I remember it leaking.  That's my only experience.

Super Contributor

Growing up we would get one present for Christmas.  I asked for a Parker fountain pen when I was in the 8th grade.  I was so happy to find it under the tree.  I still have it.

Respected Contributor

Lucky-it's funny that you mentioned that because ever since I read Sooner's post, I thought about Ann Frank and her diary entry on her birthday. She was thrilled to get a fountain pen!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

A fountain pen near me is a disaster waiting to happen.  I play it safe with ballpoint pens.

Respected Contributor

In sixth grade we had to have a fountain pen. I remember going to the store to select mine. It was pink, and I chose peacock ink.  

I still have my antique childhood desk and it has peacock ink stains in two of the cubby holes.

Respected Contributor

I always used one in my career. I no longer do because I am not writing by hand much or signing letters and memos. I started using them as a kid-- remember the Schaefer cartridge pens? -- and kept using fountain pens much of the time.