Trusted Contributor

Re: FOR MY QVC TRAVELING FRIENDS PLEASE READ

What a terrible ordeal for you. Thieves can steal from even savvy people,  but they probably look for tourists rather than locals. I hope you have been able to replace your meds and even though you will be able to get a new drivers license, etc..it's the hassle and time it takes that adds insult to injury. I know you must feel violated and I thank you for writing and sharing about your terrible experience . Hope it is carthartic for you. Take extra good care of your self right now because you deserve it! Prayers for peace.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

yes @shoekitty  that's a real nightmare.  Omg...

Yes the airlines should hear about it.  They certainly will from us.

Now I remember asking him if he took travel insurance.  He said no.  That's his choice, certainly not mine.

Now I have the Madrid police report and my health records and will not ask for the money back but a credit for a future trip.  I had to go home.

For another discussion someday since we can fly to the moon why don't we have international health records? Is that so hard?

That makes me wonder.

Honored Contributor

@Pink123 wrote:

We had a 3 week vacation planned for the longest time going to Spain, Austria and Germany.  

We left last Wednesday morning and here I sit all alone today back in the USA on my laptop at home as it's all I have to communicate with for now.

We arrived in Madrid and enjoyed 2 days going to Prado museum, Plaza Mayor, etc and some nice restaurants.  One was  "Botin" a favorite of Hemingway's.  It was lovely.

The next day we were checking out to visit his daughter in southern spain, Linares.  We had breakfast in hotel and were checking out.  I was  alone at the front desk and he went to check on the rental car in garage.  I had a carryon and a big suitcase.  I had placed my handbag and a light jacket in between it right behind me. (It was an LV tote with a zipper in the middle and a take off strap great for travel).

I had 2 surgeries in the past year and had all my medications in it which I needed.  All credit cards, lots of cash,  all makeup, drivers license.  Only passport was in his possession thank God now that I think of it.

Well I swear the lobby was quiet and empty.  The bags were so close to me and I hear everything.  I looked back to get my tote and it was gone. Gone.  I ran up to the room questioning myself but it wasn't there.  The hotel rolled the security camera and sure enough a man sneaked by me and lifted my bag in a nano second.  He had to go through those sliding turn around doors.

Why did the receiptionist not see him???  Long story short the police came, a report was made as we went to the police station.  I called USA but they would not give me any medications.  My anxiety peaked. 

I had no choice but to fly home the next day and the trip was over.  He had business so I flew home alone yesterday, a long flight.  He will be home tomorrow as I have no communication only this laptop where we can buy a new phone, drivers license, and get it all straightened out.

My 3 week dream vacation  which lasted for all but a few daysis now over.  My plea to you all traveling please hold on and be aware of your surroundings at all times.  I thought I was sharp and pretty street savvy.  Obviously not.

It kind of makes me sick that we live in such a world.  I was just a mark for a thief. 

And also for those with you with medications please split them up and put them in different suitcases, etc.  

My boyfriend even texted the thief saying he would give a handsome reward just to return my medication.  No questions asked.  He never answered of course.

Oh well, maybe again in the fall.  First I need to rest.

Doesn't American Express Gold Card have a service for situations like this? I think they can help out if you are in trouble with incidents of theft and replacing medications. Just a thought for anyone who travels extensively.

I am very sorry this happened to you @Pink123 .🙁

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Pink123 wrote:

We had a 3 week vacation planned for the longest time going to Spain, Austria and Germany.  

We left last Wednesday morning and here I sit all alone today back in the USA on my laptop at home as it's all I have to communicate with for now.

We arrived in Madrid and enjoyed 2 days going to Prado museum, Plaza Mayor, etc and some nice restaurants.  One was  "Botin" a favorite of Hemingway's.  It was lovely.

The next day we were checking out to visit his daughter in southern spain, Linares.  We had breakfast in hotel and were checking out.  I was  alone at the front desk and he went to check on the rental car in garage.  I had a carryon and a big suitcase.  I had placed my handbag and a light jacket in between it right behind me. (It was an LV tote with a zipper in the middle and a take off strap great for travel).

I had 2 surgeries in the past year and had all my medications in it which I needed.  All credit cards, lots of cash,  all makeup, drivers license.  Only passport was in his possession thank God now that I think of it.

Well I swear the lobby was quiet and empty.  The bags were so close to me and I hear everything.  I looked back to get my tote and it was gone. Gone.  I ran up to the room questioning myself but it wasn't there.  The hotel rolled the security camera and sure enough a man sneaked by me and lifted my bag in a nano second.  He had to go through those sliding turn around doors.

Why did the receiptionist not see him???  Long story short the police came, a report was made as we went to the police station.  I called USA but they would not give me any medications.  My anxiety peaked. 

I had no choice but to fly home the next day and the trip was over.  He had business so I flew home alone yesterday, a long flight.  He will be home tomorrow as I have no communication only this laptop where we can buy a new phone, drivers license, and get it all straightened out.

My 3 week dream vacation  which lasted for all but a few daysis now over.  My plea to you all traveling please hold on and be aware of your surroundings at all times.  I thought I was sharp and pretty street savvy.  Obviously not.

It kind of makes me sick that we live in such a world.  I was just a mark for a thief. 

And also for those with you with medications please split them up and put them in different suitcases, etc.  

My boyfriend even texted the thief saying he would give a handsome reward just to return my medication.  No questions asked.  He never answered of course.

Oh well, maybe again in the fall.  First I need to rest.

Doesn't American Express Gold Card have a service for situations like this? I think they can help out if you are in trouble with incidents of theft and replacing medications. Just a thought for anyone who travels extensively.

I am very sorry this happened to you @Pink123 .🙁

Good question @Trinity11.  don't believe he uses that card.  I called US to the hospital last Saturday.  Also police and hospital.  First off US hospital tells me they will leave a note for the doctor on Monday and that's all they could do. 

OMG...if you need to go to ER in Madrid expect to wait 10 or more hours. ER is huge and full of people.  Nightmare.  I asked a man next to me and he didn't look sick.  I asked him how long he was waiting and said 5 hours. It wouldn't have happened anyway.  The med's I needed were not simple blood pressure med's but controlled.  And not super controlled in any way. Had they seen my record it would not have been a problem.

They give you a pull out number like a waiting list at stores or other venues.  I think it also depends on severity of visit.  I decided to leave as I knew.

Honored Contributor

@Pink123 , maybe you should think about your getting an American Express card with travel insurance. It sounds like it will make future trips easier and put your mind to rest. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Pink123  I am sorry for your bad experience in Spain. There is nothing worse than to have you possessions stolen..I do have a few questions about your post that seem odd. You stated your boyfriend texted the thief to return your medications. How did he know who the thief was?? Did you not think this was strange???He left you alone to go check on the car rental in the garage!!! If it was me, I would find this suspicious. I guess I am a person that analysis the whole picture.

I know this thread was about taking cautions when you travel abroad but you upended it when you inserted this information.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@elated wrote:

@Pink123  I am sorry for your bad experience in Spain. There is nothing worse than to have you possessions stolen..I do have a few questions about your post that seem odd. You stated your boyfriend texted the thief to return your medications. How did he know who the thief was?? Did you not think this was strange???He left you alone to go check on the car rental in the garage!!! If it was me, I would find this suspicious. I guess I am a person that analysis the whole picture.

I know this thread was about taking cautions when you travel abroad but you upended it when you inserted this information.

No worries @elated.  It was done at the police station to see if someone would answer the phone.  We called first.

Then texted.  it was my idea.

When I can't find my Phone I ask him to call it like others to  find it in a large home. LOL. 

My late husband had his phone stolen from his office and his employees called it.  The guy answered!  It was worth a shot though in our minds to save the trip.  He wanted me to stay and wait until Monday to call Doctor in states but I wanted to go home ASAP. I guess I have a more realistic, negative mentality.  Best to leave.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pink123 wrote:

@elated wrote:

No worries @elated.  It was done at the police station to see if someone would answer the phone.  We called first.

Then texted.  it was my idea.

When I can't find my Phone I ask him to call it like others to  find it in a large home. LOL. 

My late husband had his phone stolen from his office and his employees called it.  The guy answered!  It was worth a shot though in our minds to save the trip.  He wanted me to stay and wait until Monday to call Doctor in states but I wanted to go home ASAP.

It makes sense now that you explain it fully. It seemed like your boyfriend knew the thief but that wasn't the case. He was calling your phone to see if the thief would answer. Then you texted your phone.  Thank you for responding. 

Honored Contributor

@Pink123 

SO sorry this happened to you ........  my ex took a trip to Europe and was robbed of most of his things in his hotel room.  The scary part was he was asleep in the room when it happened!  Never heard a sound.

The first thing he thought of was that the thief could have taken his house keys, fedexed them to someone in the U.S.,  and rob the house before he could even get a plane to come home.  (That didn't happen, but it was a major concern.)

You have to be so careful .... hope you get at least some of your stuff back.

Honored Contributor

OMG!  I am so sorry for your misfortune.  As I was reading your story all I could think of was at least they still have their health, thank goodness!  I hope you can get past this and go away again with a much happier outcome!

My DD is going to Portugal next week on her honeymoon.  I will tell her your story...one has to be alert at all times.  

I told her my story of my luggage almost being stolen at the Philadelphia airport several years ago (pre-covid).  I was at baggage claim which was very crowded and halfway around the carousel. I had my eyes glued watching for my bag to come up.  I saw it come up and was getting ready for it to get closer to me when suddenly a young woman reached for my bag, placed it on the ground, pulled the handle up and started walking away with it! 

I was stunned that she didn't even look to see the name on the tag...let me say that my bag looks a lot like many others...it's medium gray but I had placed both a bright red and bright blue luggage tag on the handle in addition to some ribbon.  There was no mistake that it was my bag.

So I quickly went after her but made sure that I caught up with her from the front (not from behind) and stood facing of her and said loudly, "that looks like my bag!"...as I reached for the tag and said, "Yes that's my name!".  She just looked at me and said "oh", turned and went back to the carousel.  

After I got out of there all I could think of is that she was stealing it.  She never looked at the tags, she never said that she was sorry or excuse me but that looks like mine....nothing which was very weird!

So one has to be very alert even at home!