Trusted Contributor

Re: FOR MY QVC TRAVELING FRIENDS PLEASE READ

I'm sorry this happened to youWoman Sad.  How frustrating and scary.  Just think how professional this creep was that you did not hear or feel a thing.  

I chaperoned a high school trip last month to Rome, Florence & Athens.  If I said it once, I said it 50 times to our students "Get your phone out of your back pocket".  Nothing screams "tourist" more than that.  Unfortunately, one of our girls put her phone down for a second at a counter ... gone.  Someone ran off with it.  Ugh.  

These thieves have been waiting for us to return.

Trusted Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper  I forgot to mention you are right.

All of our hotels for the rest of the trip were 5 star.  This one they say is considered 4 star.  I didn't feel it from the beginning. However, 4 star should have some kind of security in that lobby.  It wasn't an easy escape with those revolving doors.  It was a set up I'm sure. Not sure, positive.  He had business and I walked down the street to a coffee shop on the first day.  I was fine.

@CatsyCline yes, he is planning something in September, early October to try again.  I don't know if I want to go back to Madrid though yet.  I was suppossed to meet 3 of his friends for dinner this week before heading to Austria. 

I need to get over it first and concentrate on my health.

Respected Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper. I spent a summer in Spain in 1970. It was a very poor country and I was living in small towns with families.  The Guardia Seville was still around under Franco with their three corner patent leather hats. It was very safe and we all were young females, nine of us with no problems. They loved Americans and I took Kennedy half dollars to give out as souvenirs as they  liked him as President. My Spanish got me by but I was never really fluent. Lucky you still are. I have been back twice, once with students in 2008  and on a tour. Even tours can be risky when out in public.

My friend just got back two weeks ago from Portugal and Spain on a wine tour. This woman has been all over the world and prior to Covid went traveling  overseas three or four times a year. All she said was she wasn't going to be traveling for awhile. 

I agree it is too soon. I spoke to a frequent foreign traveler last Fall at church and she said the paperwork was a pain.  She went to Greece and Italy. Every place you go, where and when for Covid tracking.

Trusted Contributor

@Gorgf  All the paperwork is over tell your friend. Nothing.  It is almost back to normal prior to 3 years ago. Take your passport, attach covid vaccinations and that's it. 

Other than returning to US. Just be safe, split everything into 3's just in case and enjoy your travels.  

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry!  Smiley Sad  What a tremendous loss, not only financial but health-wise in terms of having to wait before you can even get your meds replaced.  I hope that went well.

I can't imagine how awful it would feel to have all those important possessions stolen.  

Glad you're safely back and I'm also so sorry your wonderful vacation got ruined.   One time I took a vacation to which I was looking so forward and very shortly after I got there I got really sick.     That was such a drag but nowhere near as awful as what you endured.

Best!

C

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my gosh, @Pink123 , I am so sorry!  What a nightmare.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One lesson I learned is I never let my handbag leave my body. I wear a cross body when I travel, although I prefer sachels.  I also learned to double medications. I take several meds, including blood pressure, pain med,etc.   One set I keep in purse in special dispenser in my purse in a zipper compartment.  The other set is in my husbands carryon suitcase in case my luggage gets lost.  I am so sorry for you.  Sometimes no matter what you do, life out foxes you. Once you leave the country it is impossible to get medications.   Some meds we take here they don't even have in some countries.

Valued Contributor

How horrible and also frightening.  Glad you are home safe and sound.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @shoekitty  Well said.  I hope everyone traveling reads your post. It's right on.

I wasn't within one inch of my suitcases and bag but it happened and felt or heard nothing.

Oh and I did have a crossbody for daytime always but leaving hotel all packed to drive 3 and a half hours down to southern spain I kept everything in my tote for comfort, as who can get me in the car I thought?  If only.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pink123   My daughter and husband and his parents just left on 2 week river cruise in Europe. They booked nearly 4 years ago.  They booked over a year in advance, then trip was cancelled several times due to Covid.  Finally they left last Sunday.  They get to Heathrow, London to catch flight to Amsterdam.    Huge airport.  The personnel told them where their gate was and pointed the direction.   They get there after a 20 minute walk.  The gate says no, it's the other way.  It was in the direction personnel told them not to go. They rushed to gate, missed flight.  By now they have been up almost a day.   The did get on next flight , which they had to wait 8 hours for.   They got to Amsterdam.  No luggage.  They lost luggage.   They had to go to hotel, in a foreign country with no luggage with clothes!!   now it is nearly 2 days they have been up. They let them know later they found it, but it wouldn't come from London until Weds night, Swiss time.    Stuff happens. But the airlines and airport will hear about it when they get home.   They all were washing underwear in sink, except her MIL.  She had carry on with change of clothes and shoes.  
if the luggage was lost for good, or didn't come in time to catch cruise.... they would home now as well.