Trusted Contributor

FOR MY QVC TRAVELING FRIENDS PLEASE READ

We had a 3 week vacation planned for the longest time going to Spain, Austria and Germany.  

We left last Wednesday morning and here I sit all alone today back in the USA on my laptop at home as it's all I have to communicate with for now.

We arrived in Madrid and enjoyed 2 days going to Prado museum, Plaza Mayor, etc and some nice restaurants.  One was  "Botin" a favorite of Hemingway's.  It was lovely.

The next day we were checking out to visit his daughter in southern spain, Linares.  We had breakfast in hotel and were checking out.  I was  alone at the front desk and he went to check on the rental car in garage.  I had a carryon and a big suitcase.  I had placed my handbag and a light jacket in between it right behind me. (It was an LV tote with a zipper in the middle and a take off strap great for travel).

I had 2 surgeries in the past year and had all my medications in it which I needed.  All credit cards, lots of cash,  all makeup, drivers license.  Only passport was in his possession thank God now that I think of it.

Well I swear the lobby was quiet and empty.  The bags were so close to me and I hear everything.  I looked back to get my tote and it was gone. Gone.  I ran up to the room questioning myself but it wasn't there.  The hotel rolled the security camera and sure enough a man sneaked by me and lifted my bag in a nano second.  He had to go through those sliding turn around doors.

Why did the receiptionist not see him???  Long story short the police came, a report was made as we went to the police station.  I called USA but they would not give me any medications.  My anxiety peaked. 

I had no choice but to fly home the next day and the trip was over.  He had business so I flew home alone yesterday, a long flight.  He will be home tomorrow as I have no communication only this laptop where we can buy a new phone, drivers license, and get it all straightened out.

My 3 week dream vacation  which lasted for all but a few daysis now over.  My plea to you all traveling please hold on and be aware of your surroundings at all times.  I thought I was sharp and pretty street savvy.  Obviously not.

It kind of makes me sick that we live in such a world.  I was just a mark for a thief. 

And also for those with you with medications please split them up and put them in different suitcases, etc.  

My boyfriend even texted the thief saying he would give a handsome reward just to return my medication.  No questions asked.  He never answered of course.

Oh well, maybe again in the fall.  First I need to rest.

Honored Contributor

Re: FOR MY QVC TRAVELING FRIENDS PLEASE READ

@Pink123   So sorry.  

Honored Contributor

@Pink123 

I'm SO sorry this happened to you!

But the moral of your story is that whether or not you're traveling or just going to the grocery store, stay AWARE of your surroundings!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

@Pink123 i'm so sorry about your misfortune.  don't be hard on yourself.  Thiefs work hard at taking advantage of others. Thanks for advising all to be vigilant at all times.  Take care.

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry about what happened to you.  When I travel I am so paranoid that I strap everything to me.  Turns out the vacation is never all that fun since I am  always looking over my shoulder. I always have my passport, anf other ID's on me. 

But consider yourself lucky.  My mother many years ago was traveling and was in Brazil.  She was hit over the head, knocked down and her necklace was stolen. 

Trusted Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Pink123   So sorry.  

Thank you @millieshops.  I still feel like it's all just a dream sequence.

My main reason for writing about this is medicines along with the robbers and being aware of your surroundings. Please, please, split it up and add another week of medicine in case you get sick. 

After all the running around pleading with the hospital and police I had to find a place for a covid antigen test to return.  Yikes.....exhaustion plus.

Honored Contributor

I am so so sorry to hear this.....  what a violation.  I agree with separating items of value (like medication, etc.) but I would also suggest not taking your LV's (and I love them) but LV's tend to tell people you might have something of greater value in your bags.

I hope you go again and have no problems at all next time.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

My family was all going to Europe....but we decided to cancel due to things i canmot say here

There are so many beautiful places here that we are going to visit.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

So sorry, but i have heard for many years that Spain is very notorius for thieves among tourists. 

Honored Contributor

@Pink123   The thieves everywhere can be so sly we can't possibly know they are nearby.  The suggestions you made make excellent sense.