Esteemed Contributor

I've been awaiting my order of Heartland Chicken ALL DAY!  Assume it got flown up from KY to NH and in reading the tracking info got shipped from Manchester NH at 11:45 last night, arriving in Chelmsford MA at 3am today. From there it was shipped to Shrewsbury (2 towns away) arriving at 3:51, was scanned at 5:41 then was loaded and out for delivery at 6:33 this morning. 

Now, not even considering the time from NH to MA, it has been on a hot UPS truck for over nine hours!!!!! It's been unseasonably hot and humid here for the past three days (84 when I just checked the computer, dropping to 83 at 4pm).  

Concerned, I called C/S and she told me it would be cold but the dry ice melted upon receipt.  And, if spoiled to call and I can dump it and they'll send more out!!!! I'm questioning the safety of this food.  Does anyone have any idea if th coldpack should last this long?  I'm assuming it's been unrefrigerated since it left the airport last night as I don't know of any air-conditioned, let alone refrigerated UPS trucks.

Don't want to seem paranoid, but, guess I am and would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanx.

Honored Contributor

If it's been packed in dry ice, it should be good for at least 24 hours.

It takes about 24 hours for 5 pounds to melt or whatever it does.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If it's been packed in dry ice, it should be good for at least 24 hours.

It takes about 24 hours for 5 pounds to melt or whatever it does.

@CelticCrafter, thanx, just figured I be stuck with 5lbs or rotten chicken or worse yet not realizing if went bad and eating it!

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme, it might be okay but I'm like you. I would be somewhat worried about eating chicken that had been defrosted and unrefrigerated for that long.

Esteemed Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@eddyandme, it might be okay but I'm like you. I would be somewhat worried about eating chicken that had been defrosted and unrefrigerated for that long.

@Silver Lining

Thanx! It's still not delivered!  I'm wondering if they transferred it to the USPS 'cause UPS usually comes around 2:30 and the mailman any time from 4:30 on!  If it's not cold will insist on credit and cancel A/D - won't chance it for me and my furbaby.

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme, you know how carefully chicken must be handled. There are a lot of things that would not bother me to have been frozen and then sat around in hot temperatures. Things like poundcake or cookies or other non-perishable foods. I would be leery about chicken, especially left in the heat. I had a roasted chicken sandwich in a restaurant last night and I momentarily thought about food poisoning.. Just me, I think about things like that. 

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme

Was this chicken frozen?  A lot will depend on that.

Respected Contributor

I ordered meat and I was ok when it got to me BUT someone here had a huge problem and she couldn't get any satisfaction. I have no idea....was maybe 6 months ago. So I'm never going to order frozen foods again

Honored Contributor

if it is still frozen then you should have no worries. sometimes i have dry ice left and sometimes none, but as long as it is still frozen, i just put it right into the freezer with no worries.

if it is NOT frozen and has partially thawed then you still have no worries. you can call customer service, let them know what has happened, and they will give you a full refund on your item.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I ordered some of the potstickers this summer and we had been having a really really hot summer. When they arrived the dry ice was gone and the potstickers were completely thawed.

I called CS and explained and she told me to toss them. She then sent out another order and expedited the shipping. They were at my doorstep not quite two days later. This time still frozen.