Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

When did it supposedly become okay to advertise DRUGS on television.  Nothing like promoting illnesses and diseases to talk the human public right into HAVING these problems just to seek out a doctor who we can apparently talk right into writing out scripts for these drugs.  What a racket these pharmceutical companies have with many of our MDs.  We many of us seem to buy right into these tv ads.  We're popping pills just because every little ache & pain we think we have just because we see these ads on tv.  And then jack up the price 200% to share the joy of $$$$$$$$$$$$$

between the pharms & the drs. 

What a disgusting way to play the public.  I thought the doctors were supposed to be on our side.

In 1997. (Source: http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/94/5/329.long)

Several bills have been written to try to stop the practice since then,  but none of them got very far.

And they won't get very far because big RX companies are big political contributors.

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I won't hold my breath. I believe they already know a cure for different cancers but won't manufacture because there is more money the other route. They should not be allowed to have ads on TV.

You actually believe researchers and pharmaceutical companies are sitting o the cures to various cancers but are sitting on it to make profits?  They do this while their friends, family, and colleagues suffer with and die from cancer -- like the rest of us.

I think this says a lot more about your ethics than those of the pharmaceutical companies.

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

When did it supposedly become okay to advertise DRUGS on television.  Nothing like promoting illnesses and diseases to talk the human public right into HAVING these problems just to seek out a doctor who we can apparently talk right into writing out scripts for these drugs.  What a racket these pharmceutical companies have with many of our MDs.  We many of us seem to buy right into these tv ads.  We're popping pills just because every little ache & pain we think we have just because we see these ads on tv.  And then jack up the price 200% to share the joy of $$$$$$$$$$$$$

between the pharms & the drs. 

What a disgusting way to play the public.  I thought the doctors were supposed to be on our side.

In 1997. (Source: http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/94/5/329.long)

Several bills have been written to try to stop the practice since then,  but none of them got very far.

And they won't get very far because big RX companies are big political contributors.

Bingo!

Super Contributor

I agree with all you said.  I also miss the days when we could read a magazine and not see them filled with pharmaceutical ads.  With all the warnings that take up two pages themselves, I'm surprised anyone would even want to take the drugs being promoted!  The side effects are worse than the disease itself, it seems!

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Super Contributor

Beauty2B, my thoughts exactly!

Respected Contributor

Physicians are on 'our side'-ins. co's. try to tell them how to practice medicine. I spent 3 hours last Friday w/ins. co. b/c they held up my cancer treatment for almost 2 weeks, citing that a test used to drive therapy was 'rare'. Horse feathers! The oncotype test is expensive, but just saved said ins. co. about 50K b/c I dont need to have chemo! That is what the oncotype is about.

My medical oncologist has some colorful adjectives for insurance companies. He wrote them in my chart, which had my PCP in stitches.

Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I won't hold my breath. I believe they already know a cure for different cancers but won't manufacture because there is more money the other route. They should not be allowed to have ads on TV.

You actually believe researchers and pharmaceutical companies are sitting o the cures to various cancers but are sitting on it to make profits?  They do this while their friends, family, and colleagues suffer with and die from cancer -- like the rest of us.

I think this says a lot more about your ethics than those of the pharmaceutical companies.

Yes I believe they have cures. No they are not sitting on it to make profits. Profits are from selling all their drugs. If they cured everyone it would put them out of business. How do you know their close friends, family & colleagues suffer???  You believe what you want & I will believe what I want. 

Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I believe Nightowlz posts and my ethics are just fine.

Respected Contributor

@Beauty2B wrote:

I agree with all you said.  I also miss the days when we could read a magazine and not see them filled with pharmaceutical ads.  With all the warnings that take up two pages themselves, I'm surprised anyone would even want to take the drugs being promoted!  The side effects are worse than the disease itself, it seems!

I always laugh when one of the side effects of these "miracle" drugs is the actual disease you are taking the darn pill for! Talk about covering their booties! Just making more consumers for their poison pills. The war on drugs???? Drugs won. (and so did the big pharms that make'em)

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I believe Nightowlz posts and my ethics are just fine.

I also agree.  Big Pharma is one of the biggest "legal" cons in this country.  They are running out of stupid names to call the stuff.  Congress has to put a stop to this!!

Haven't you read about the former hedge fund guy who bought the rights to a very old drug that cost practically nothing and then immediately raised the price 5000% the next day, supposedly to "improve" the drug?  And it has been found out he has absolutely no experience in doing this.   It's been all over the news.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986