Valued Contributor

Re: FINALLY HAD A HAIRDRESSER APPOINTMENT

Hopefully one of these days.

I was to have had an appt this coming Tuesday but due to the shut down the yound lady had to move to a location that would add quite a bit to the distance that I already was going. The appt was cancelled as a result. I so wanted to help her because of the fact that they have been closed down for so long. But I have fibromyalgia and sitting in a car and then sitting at the salon and then the drive back would have been a long time and probably a bit painful.
I guess I just have to find someone that is a bit closer now.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I guess it's all about priorities. I'm not celebrating openings right now. This virus is alive and quite heathly.

ETA: I'm honestly not judging others and am happy for what seems like your positive experiences.

I'm with you, @suzyQ3.  I am in no hurry at all to go to a salon.  My hair is much too long and my eyebrows are desperately in need of attention, but it's not worth the risk to me.  Once things open, obviously it's a personal choice, so I'm not judging others either.  I color my own hair, and I can easily keep it up in a ponytail for the summer.  I trust my stylist completely to follow all regulations, but I'm not comfortable with going yet.  I always look at risk vs. reward - And the reward is not worth it to me.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I guess it's all about priorities. I'm not celebrating openings right now. This virus is alive and quite heathly.

ETA: I'm honestly not judging others and am happy for what seems like your positive experiences.

@suzyQ3, even though my daughter is a barber I cut my own hair once during the shutdown and cut my husband's hair too.  LOL

We live very close to DD but we abided by rules and did not get any closer than a driveway visit during the shutdown.  I thought DD would stroke when she did see our hair but evidently she was pleasantly surprised as she said neither one looked all that bad.  LOL!   

My hair is short but I still could not really cut the back.  I handed the shears to DH and told him what to do.  We have laughed and laughed over the shutdown haircuts.  

When we entered a phase where we could visit family, DD came over and brought her stuff to cut our hair.  So we still haven't been in a salon yet and won't be going anytime soon.    

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

I have now cut my hair and my husbands hair 3 times (each). I am not a hairdresser but learned to do them myself and am very proud!. Took pictures and showed family and friends and they cant get over it and said we both look great!. I layered my  tops sides and backs, and DH did help to make sure just bottom back was even. It did take me long to do mine but DHs was a piece of cake and he likes it better than our hair stylist does them! lol. I also colored the grays out of my hair (but I always do that). Hair places opened here Friday but we both have short hair and dont need cuts for probably over another month and are in no rush to run around to places here yet. We will wait and see if our virus numbers go up again now that we have things open! (DH does work though and has worked during the virus and we grocery shop every 2 weeks but thats it -so we are just waiting to be sure first!)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I've gotten my haircut professionally but no color yet.  I get my hair highlighted 2x a year and plan on going soon to get it done.  I haven't heard of the term "frosting" in ages and was surprised that it's still a thing at salons.

Honored Contributor

I'll have to admit I chuckled at the term "frosted". I have to think twice when I say I got highlights in my hair and not say I got my hair frosted. Our hair salons opened here weeks ago, I got in her second day back. I'm so happy to be back to normal again! 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just had hair cut, base and highlights done using all precautions.  I cut off the layers and cut it short.  My last hair color and highlights was in February and my gray was  almost 3 inches. I'm in NY and we just started phase 2 last week.

i feel much better about myself BUT I waited until it was legal. Cuomo opens by using the scientists' recommendations.  And, in NY, we have the lowest rate of infection since this virus reared it's ugly head. And sadly, I opted for an easy cut so if covid returns, I can just pull it back and it is easy care. 

edited to say  NY has the lowest rate of infection for us since covid started.